Non-disclosure agreements — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Non-disclosure agreements

Options
wendy41
wendy41 Community member Posts: 227 Pioneering
What is your experience with NDA's? Have you ever had to sign one, ever challenged one? How long have they lasted? 

Comments

• Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    I`ve never had to deal with one.  With the nature / temperament I have, it`s highly unlikely that I would agree to one either.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've never signed one either @wendy41. Though I suppose I might not be able to tell you if I had! ;) 

I can see you've posted this in our work and employment category. Do you mind me asking if this is something you've been asked to sign? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • wendy41
    Options
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    How do you feel about it @wendy41?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • wendy41
    edited October 2022
    Options
    @Tori_Scope how I feel about it.........  >:) perhaps this puts it into more perspective
  • Stellar
    Stellar Community member Posts: 131 Pioneering
    Options
    it depends why you've been asked to sign one. the time limit and terms depend on the NDA. sometimes its only a matter of weeks, sometimes its years, but also can be pernament.

when it comes to jobs where you need to keep things secret (ie. PR for an company), sometimes you have to in order to get the job. there is no way around this and they do them to protect both you and the company in case of leaks.

that said, sometimes they are misused. if it's a company trying to silence you for abusive practises they've done or enabling, it's very questionable at best so its worth refusing to sign it. That said, sometimes it's worth having your silence bought if they offer a substantial amount of money that could help you move forward in life.

that said, regardless of what the NDA is for, there's always the option for you to speak about it anonymously in the future, such as to a journalist or on a forum (so long as you change some details so you cant be identified). although after 10+ years if you were to break it under your real name, it's unlikely any action would be taken cause after so long, they just wouldn't be interested or care. usually if NDAs are used outside of job requirements, its to stop a short to medium term PR disaster.
  • wendy41
    Options
    @Stellar, much appreciated for your post. I don't know how long the NDA was for, just know I was pressured into signing one. 
  • JaneC_
    JaneC_ Community Volunteer Adviser Posts: 21 Connected
    Options
    @wendy41,
    just to note your organisation will pay/contribute to paying for independent legal advice. Your lawyer will explain the details of agreement and how reasonable it is, answer your question and suggest amendment, plus things like if there’s money on the table how that might compare to other possible avenues of compensation/redundancy. You still may choose not to sign after the advice.

If you are in a Union they also can advise you on the agreement. 

All the best 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.