When do you usually put the heating on? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

When do you usually put the heating on?

Options
Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
And will it be different this year?

Do you usually wait to a certain date or temperature? Or just if you're feeling cold? 

Mine isn't usually on until October but this year I'm just freezing!! 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Mine is already on since last week I pur it on when I feel cold but I have reduced the temp this year 

Its so cold now so god help me when if gets to winter
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    It does feel so much colder than usual!! Apparently we're in for an extra cold snap next few days too :( 
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Put it on Sunday morning because I could literally see my breath. Not been on since though but if it gets any colder than it is now it’s going on.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,820 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If I lived alone it would rarely go on, even in winter. Not because of the fuel prices but because I prefer it colder. I actually have my window open all year round in my bedroom and the radiator in my room is turned off.

I'd say I'd put it on if it got a fair way into negative temperatures (celsius).

The way it is it is set at 18 degrees so it comes on if the temperature drops below that.
  • Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    Options
    We’ve not put it on yet but probably will anytime soon judging by the weather. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,719 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I usually put it on when i'm cold. I past winters i usually put it on early morning when i get up and keep on until around 10.30pm but this year will be different. I find the cold a lot and my health is always worse during winter, so i'm dreading it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    My boiler is turned off on the 1st May and turned back on the 1st October.  These dates may slide a bit either way; if it`s unusually warm for the season, it goes off earlier or stays on longer.  It it`s unusually cold for the season it goes off later and back on earlier.  I`m looking at this Saturday to turn it back on, but I`ll see what the temperature is and whether my visitor is cold or not.
    Like 66Mustang I prefer it cooler, the only radiators I have on are the Living Room and the Hall (the Hall only because it controls the thermostat).  The bedroom radiators are never turned on.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,662 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I put it on last Sunday, I did monitor the cost and it was only a pound, with heating, water and oven on  and I've had it on today on low auto,  because a baby has been visiting. My health is made worse with the cold also
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    Sandy_123 said:
    I put it on last Sunday, I did monitor the cost and it was only a pound, with heating, water and oven on  and I've had it on today on low auto,  because a baby has been visiting. My health is made worse with the cold also
    Hi Sandy,
    The problem we have is two fold; we have the media using "sensationalistic journalism" to blow out of all proportion what "might" happen mixed with those who hang off every word of the media and then add their interpretation.  This is making the current situation worse.

• Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,876 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    i am a big fat guy, so tend not to feel the cold, we have our windows open in the bedroom year round, it is getting colder now, we will have to see when we put it on
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    Cartini said:

Hi Sandy,
    The problem we have is two fold; we have the media using "sensationalistic journalism" to blow out of all proportion what "might" happen mixed with those who hang off every word of the media and then add their interpretation.  This is making the current situation worse.

Its true the media do that, you see headlines of ...no one can afford to heat their homes etc... 
    That's what made me check the cost after I cooked, heated the house and the water tank. Was expecting it to be 10.00 the way they put their headlines. Best pound I spent for an hour lol. 

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,730 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's on right now as its cold tonight, we use LPG as not on the gas mains, noticed that the wholesale price of gas went up 23% today possibly due to the three explosions on the Nord 2 pipeline, perhaps as well the uk cap has been set for 2 years.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• wendy41
    wendy41 Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    Options
    Comes on for an hour early morning about 8am. Makes it a bit easier on the bones moving. Rest of the day I stay in my fleece and if gets too cold flick the heating on for an hour to take chill off. Then is back to wearing a fleece. 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Last night was the 1st time - i only put it on for 2 hours - i suffer with cold feet and cold nose but have massive sweats - hubby always feels cold since he had a heart attack - i have to have the bedroom window open, what ever the weather 
  • Binky1234
    Binky1234 Community member Posts: 408 Pioneering
    Options
    I put my heating on when I'm cold but I do try and heat the person and not house due to having fibromyalgia I'm sensitive to cold. 
    Knowing When to walk away is Wisdom, being able is courage, walking away with your head held high is dignity.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,647 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't have central heating, all electric here. 

Try to leave the bathroom storage heater off until October 1st, as I put in meter readings on the last day of every month.  If this cold snap turns mild again I might leave it off a bit longer this year, but find towels stay damp and start to smell when the average temp drops below about 20c in there.

The main room is just heated by a panel heater.  I don't have that on very often, a couple of hours in the evening on colder days between about Nov & Feb.  I can manage cold winters far better than I can manage hot summers!!
  • emancherry33
    emancherry33 Community member Posts: 3,640 Pioneering
    Options
    Try to at least 1 October, try to only put it on if there is a cold spell then soon as it warms up a bit turn off or 1 hour in morning and off for as long as possible in proper winter.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
     I can manage cold winters far better than I can manage hot summers!!
    So true, I'm the same! 
  • life
    life Community member Posts: 527 Pioneering
    Options
    Like a few on here window always open, heater off all the time in my room and only put on if my breath is visible. I even have the fan on at night lol jus rather the cold
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    I feel the cold had it on earlier, after coming home soaked from heavy rain and high winds

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.