Real term benefits cuts? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Real term benefits cuts?

Options
woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,714 Disability Gamechanger
The media is awash today with speculation that all benefits might see real term cuts i.e not increase in line with inflation inc SRP UC and other benefits.

This would of course go some way to paying for the tax cuts for the rich.

The question is do you think this would be the right thing to do? Should the poor pay to make the rich richer?

https://www.thenational.scot/news/22952750.liz-truss-set-reduce-benefits-help-fund-tax-cuts-rich/
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Not only is it morally wrong it’s poor economic policy. People on low incomes spend all of their income whereas the wealthier are more likely to save it.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    Options
    woodbine said:
    The media is awash today with speculation that all benefits might see real term cuts i.e not increase in line with inflation inc SRP UC and other benefits.

This would of course go some way to paying for the tax cuts for the rich.

The question is do you think this would be the right thing to do? Should the poor pay to make the rich richer?

https://www.thenational.scot/news/22952750.liz-truss-set-reduce-benefits-help-fund-tax-cuts-rich/
    I believe what they are looking at is the level of benefits compared to low earnings. We saw what happened the last time when it was not worth working as the benefit income made it so.
    I know of some pensioners that are on well over £700 a week mainly from benefits and the SRP.

• calcotti
    Options
    racyguy said: I believe what they are looking at is the level of benefits compared to low earnings. We saw what happened the last time when it was not worth working as the benefit income made it so.
    I know of some pensioners that are on well over £700 a week mainly from benefits and the SRP.
    But they have indicated that the triple lock for State Pension will be applied.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    Options
    If you at NMW and benefits NMW wins everytime.
    Would be very interested to see how some pensioners income adds up to £700 a week.

• calcotti
    Options
    woodbine said:
    Would be very interested to see how some pensioners income adds up to £700 a week.
    Pensioner couple both on a disability benefit would give Pension Credit with double SDP plus double carer premium which gets you to SP/PC of £480/week plus the disability benefit itself plus HB (if applicable) and plus CTR does give a high income - but not a common situation so shouldn't generalise from it.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2022
    Options
    They’ve mucked up the economy big time with their mini budget and now try to pretend that actually it’s all our fault for not being productive enough and over paying ourselves! Typical bias spin. Makes my blood boil! 

There may may be some grain of truth in this but it has been that way for many decades and the straw which broke the camels back was their ill thought out mini budget not underproduction. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• racyguy
    Options
    calcotti said:
    racyguy said: I believe what they are looking at is the level of benefits compared to low earnings. We saw what happened the last time when it was not worth working as the benefit income made it so.
    But they have indicated that the triple lock for State Pension will be applied.
    Will it?
    There is nothing that is certain where the Welfare Budget is concerned. It's the easiest to cut when the government wants to save money.
    Thankfully both of us have experienced abject poverty, lack of heating and food etc in the 50's and 60's. So, whatever happens we can look back and say that we managed then, we can manage again.
  • calcotti
    Options
    racyguy said:
    Will it?
    Obviously we don’t know until it actually happens. Nonetheless the current position is that the current government has refused to confirm that benefits generally will increase in line with CPI but have said that triple lock will apply for State Pensions.
  • woodbine
    Options
    I think it's morally wrong to compare today with the 1950's/60's in 70 years should we not expect things to be better? public services to be fit for purpose, benefits enough to live on, we are the 6th richest nation on earth should we not act as though we are ?

I remember waking up on winter mornings with ice INSIDE the windows, not due to poverty purely lack of central heating, doesn't mean I want my grandkids to suffer that.

And we must recall that during the 50's we were recovering from WW2 and until '54 there was still some rationing, and moving into the '60's most mums stayed at home and families lived off one wage.
    I could go on but I'm sure you get the drift.
    Just one final thought we have a govt. that wants macro-economics who practice micro-economics, you can't have it both ways !

• calcotti
    Options
    woodbine said:
    ..we are the 6th richest nation on earth should we not act as though we are ?
    I think 30th by capita per head, which is perhaps more relevant than comparison by total GDP.
  • racyguy
    Options
    woodbine said:
    I think it's morally wrong to compare today with the 1950's/60's in 70 years should we not expect things to be better? public services to be fit for purpose, benefits enough to live on, we are the 6th richest nation on earth should we not act as though we are ?

I remember waking up on winter mornings with ice INSIDE the windows, not due to poverty purely lack of central heating, doesn't mean I want my grandkids to suffer that.

And we must recall that during the 50's we were recovering from WW2 and until '54 there was still some rationing, and moving into the '60's most mums stayed at home and families lived off one wage.
    Just one final thought we have a govt. that wants macro-economics who practice micro-economics, you can't have it both ways !
    All I am saying is that for those that lived through that era would know what real poverty is like. Not saying that I want that to happen again, but no matter what comes our way now will not be as bad as it was back then. At least we are prepared for the worst.

• leeCal
    Options
    @racyguy said
    All I am saying is that for those that lived through that era would know what real poverty is like. Not saying that I want that to happen again, but no matter what comes our way now will not be as bad as it was back then. At least we are prepared for the worst.
    Are we really prepared for the worst? You’re talking about fifty or sixty years ago I remember those days as well and I remember I had one thing in my favour YOUTH! We no longer have that. 

A few years ago I ran out of heating oil and we had a particularly cold snap, it was minus four in my kitchen. No problem I thought, just everyone wrap up warm in the house and we’ll wait for our delivery of oil. It took ten days and I got bronchitis which the doctor said could have easily turned into pneumonia. A life threatening condition.   
    Unfortunately you can’t wrap up your lungs and that’s where the danger lies especially for he elderly but not exclusively so, the very young are also susceptible to lung conditions too. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    Options
    racyguy said:
    woodbine said:

If I'm honest I would have to say we are not ready for the worst, we have a whole generation who have never lived through higher inflation, who have never had to give a second thought to putting the heating on, who have never had to make a choice between eating and heating.

Inflation is at a 40 year high, energy cost are beyond a joke and we are on the cusp of a recession, and yet we have a government who have given priority to tax cuts for the rich and will now expect spending cuts in the NHS/defence/education/social care and everything else that you can think of. 

I do take issue when you say that people lived through "real" poverty in the 50's and 60's that simply isn't true, you would have to go back before the war for that.

• racyguy
    Options
    woodbine said:

If I'm honest I would have to say we are not ready for the worst, we have a whole generation who have never lived through higher inflation, who have never had to give a second thought to putting the heating on, who have never had to make a choice between eating and heating.

Inflation is at a 40 year high, energy cost are beyond a joke and we are on the cusp of a recession, and yet we have a government who have given priority to tax cuts for the rich and will now expect spending cuts in the NHS/defence/education/social care and everything else that you can think of. 

I do take issue when you say that people lived through "real" poverty in the 50's and 60's that simply isn't true, you would have to go back before the war for that.
    A few facts then:
    Inflation in 1973 was running at 9%, 1974 - 16% rising in 1974 to 24%.
    For the following 6 years it started to reduce and by 1980 to 18%

Bank Rates in the late 70's through to the early 80's were 17% dropping down gradually to the early 90's to 12%.

Those are of recent date. I would also mention that throughout that period of high inflation and bank rates no one not even the DWP/DHSS made any contribution to the public - it was sink or swim! We all coped one way or another. I took out a £100,000 mortgage in 1989 with monthly repayments of £1,000 a month.

As I have said we have lived through worse so should be prepared well for what is happening now.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,647 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    racyguy said:
    woodbine said:

As I have said we have lived through worse so should be prepared well for what is happening now.

That's absolute nonsense! You keep saying the same thing across multiple threads. We shouldn't have to be prepared for these sort things. We are not living in the 60's, 70's or 80's!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • leeCal
    Options
    @poppy123456 said
    We are not living in the 60's, 70's or 80's!
    Totally agree but unfortunately it seems the conservatives want to drag us back to those times! 

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    I`ve been following this thread with interest. My earliest recollection is watching the funeral of Churchill on our little black & white telly; I was 4 then.  From later conversations with my mother, we were struggling, but as a child in 65 I wasn`t aware of it.
    What I don`t understand is why people are bickering about "how it used to be" compared to "how it could be".  Tough times are / could be ahead (I say are or could be because I would imagine some people won`t feel it as bad as other people).
    For me, this is an interesting thread because I don`t follow politics to the n`th degree, so I like to read what other people believe or think.
    Personally, I have no allegiance to any political party; they are all as bad as each other. I do, however, vote blue to keep red out (must be a Manchester thing ;) ).  Having said that, the next GE will see me voting for the Monster Raving Loony Party; and the only reason I will be doing that is to stop the people wagging their finger and saying "no vote, no complaint".
    Andy

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.