Sued for being disabled :( — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Sued for being disabled :(

Options
Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
edited October 2022 in Coffee lounge
Has anyone seen the stuff about the lovely disabled woman being SUED for being disabled by clients who stayed at her Air BnB? 
I'm so disgusted that lobbyist groups have jumped on it too to try and use it to attack equality act and :( 

What is the world coming to!!

It's quite a saga but if anyone wants to see about it she has lots of videos on YouTube now but starts here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urb9Ao66a-0 

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,793 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I haven't read the story or seen anything about that.

I'm guessing she was sued for something that her disability caused her to do (or not do)? Rather than directly sued for being disabled?

I have been punished for being "disabled" in the past as well when selling things via eBay - I am often a bit slow delivering parcels because of various issues like OCD and having to get someone to come with me etc. and have been punished for this.

I agree it is sad!

Edit: just seen you added a video, can't watch it at the moment sorry but will try to watch it later :)
  • Biblioklept
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I've added a video to original post @66Mustang - it's literally that she's disabled and didn't tell the guests she is disabled before they arrived - nothing she did! Just that she was disabled and they should have known and are now traumatised by being around a disabled person. 

And stuff like she has a pad of paper in the room for guests which is clearly a communication disability aid as it was bought by a disabled person ?!?!?! and has an accessible doorbell (which looks like a normal doorbell it just flashes a light for her inside?!?!) 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Oh that seems really weird @Biblioklept. Why does it matter if she is disabled or not?

I will try to watch the video later, when I have my headphones!
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    It's quite a long video but the first couple of minutes sum it up and last 5 are why it's so worrying that it's being challenged. 

The middle is just so desperately awful :( 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,431 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Wow, ive watched the video, I can't believe there are people like her guests around. I hope they loose the court case and get lumbered with all costs, unreal really.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I've watched a little bit of it, and it does seem very odd (and worrying!) @Biblioklept. Do you know on what grounds exactly they're suing her? 

Edit: apologies, I hadn't seen 66Mustang and Biblioklept's replies before posting this.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    I've watched a little bit of it, and it does seem very odd (and worrying!) @Biblioklept. Do you know on what grounds exactly they're suing her? 

They're challenging the equality act at the same time and saying she should have to declare up front that she's disabled (currently don't have to as it can lead to discrimination). 
    They're suing for emotional trauma and damages and for the counselling and treatments and on-going support they need as a result of meeting a disabled person  :o 

• elahrairah
    elahrairah Scope Member Posts: 49 Courageous
    Options
    what the actual... i am pretty confident that they won't win.  i hope that the judge is so annoyed at them wasting their time with this that they order a compensation payment to this woman.  it's harrassment!
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's not something I expected to hear in 2022, and it's quite maddening and bewildering all at the same time @Biblioklept thank you for sharing it. 

I wonder if the people suing her must have led incredibly sheltered lives to this point to be so affected by simply meeting a disabled person. Or perhaps it could be a cultural thing? I know we shouldn't have to make sense of it, as it's a horrible thing, but I'd be interested to know what's behind everything.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,717 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The word "snowflakes" comes to mind
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Fin1
    Fin1 Community member Posts: 33 Connected
    Options
    I mean what kind of world are we living in. I think if anyone should be suing it should be her. I understand her nervousness as it seems we are living in a Mickey Mouse justice system. If I was a judge and read her account it would not even get to court. If anything she has got a case for discrimination, which I think she should follow.
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    woodbine said:
    I had "scumbag chancers" in my mind.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,717 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Cartini said:
    woodbine said:
    I had "scumbag chancers" in my mind.

You won't find me disagreeing with that one.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Fin1
    Options
    Yep, yep and more yep.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2022
    Options
    @stormy Hmm that is odd! I noticed the initial Youtube link wasn't working and was now set to private. I hope the lady hasn't received yet more hostility and has a good support network in place around her.

This story actually hurts to read doesn't it? It speaks massively to the ableism that is default in so many, yet ironically we are all temporarily able-bodied and the privileged 'normal' body is occupied by very few, if any! (I'm a poet and didn't know it  :D)

Thanks for sharing @Biblioklept
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Fin1
    Options
    Yes &Cher_Scope and@Stormy. I think its gone way beyond far. It ludicrous that even this has happened. If they are bullying her now it’s harassment. I had an experience where I was being harassed and certain people were blocking me contacting people for help. I hope this is not happening to her because it is a horrible situation where you have to sit it out and hope they just leave you alone. Going to the police was an option but the mental health thing they think your making it up, not all there are very understanding people no matter what job you do. No I feel for her, obviously there is something going on.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.