If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Looking for support and advice

Options
pearlydoll
pearlydoll Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited November 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have been suffering with chronic pain for nearly two years. It’s an intense abdominal pain which really restricts my movements. I wear Butrans patches and have liquid morphine but every days a struggle. I have lost so much weight that people don’t recognise me and I am exhausted all the time. I’ve been tested for so many things including lots of cancer scars but still no answers. 
I have applied for PIP as we are gradually getting more and more in debt and I’m limited to what hours I can work. I’m scared I won’t get the support and don’t know if I met their requirements. My poor partner and mother care for me and keep me going but I feel like such a burden and my mental health has suffered. 

Can anyone help? Or offer me any other financial or medical advice?
Thank You  😔
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,140 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We can’t give you any medical advice because we are not medical professionals, unfortunately. 
    Have you had an assessment for your PIP claim?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,503 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @pearlydoll :) Thank you for joining us!

Firstly, I just wanted to reassure you that you're not a burden. Something I find helpful is to think about how I'd feel if the roles were reversed, and ask myself whether I'd see that person as a burden. The answer is usually no!

It sounds as though things have been very difficult for you lately. Do you mind me asking whether you claim any other benefits at the moment? PIP isn't about your ability to work but, as you've mentioned being limited in what hours you can work, you might like to look into the work-related benefits too. 

Are you receiving any support for your mental health at the moment? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
  • pearlydoll
    Options
    Thank you for reaching out. That’s an inlightening perspective, I have actually cared for them both in the past. However, it’s hard to see this as temporary when there’s no end in sight. I’ve never claimed anything before, this is my first time attempting to get help. I’m terrified that if I lose this job (had to give up my last one) we won’t be able to pay our mortgage. Is there something you think could help me?
    Ive had no support for my mental health. I was referred to the chronic pain team and I thought they might offer this but they wouldn’t help at all. As my pain is still technically undiagnosed so referral denied, instead they think up a new scare each month to test me for 😔
  • pearlydoll
    Options
    Sorry I don’t know how to respond individually. I had my phone assessment on Tuesday Poppy, I was a mess and broke down in tears a few times. I’m worried I didn’t answer my questions clearly as I’m used to trying to say what I can do not can’t do. It’s the opposite of how most of us manage pain 😳
    I hope I didn’t mess it up!
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @pearlydoll

I wanted to message to check in. How have you been? Don't worry about getting upset, as you've said, things have been very stressful, and it is your first time claiming anything. Were they able to answer any questions you had? 

I do hope the Chronic Pain Team has been able to help you. You can always be referred through your GP for mental health support  <3
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.