Members-only event: register now and get a free snack box! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Members-only event: register now and get a free snack box!

Options
Giovanni_Scope
Giovanni_Scope Scope Membership Team Posts: 149 Pioneering

Hello everyone,

I’m excited to invite you to the first Scope Members Social event, which will take place online on Monday 14 November 2022, from 6.30pm to 8pm.

Scope Members Social events are an occasion for our members to meet each other, share their lived experience of disability and have fun!

The theme of this first event is: "Embracing your disabled identity". You will first hear from our speakers about their experiences, then you will be able to share your own experience living as a disabled person.

The deadline to register for the event is 7 November. As a gift, the first 30 members who register will receive a vegan snack box at home.

Register now and get your free snack box

[Alt-text: From top-left, in clockwise order: Harriet Cavanagh, Judith Smale, Jacqueline Abdi Gas]

The speakers

Judith Smale

Age 42, Judith has Fascio Scalpio Humerio Muscular Dystrophy. Diagnosed at the age of 8, she uses an electric wheelchair since 12. First class Business Studies degree from the University of Northumbria, she won 1998 Young Achiever of the Year. She works as Volunteering Manager for Cumbria CVS. Judith enjoys cooking, food, going to concerts, gardening, travelling the world, and spending time with family, friends and her husband Nathan.

Harriet Cavanagh

Harriet (she/her) has worked at Scope since 2015, she's now part of Scope’s Insight team. She has worked and volunteered in many disability, LGBTQ+ and equity related projects. She became disabled as a young teenager and has spoken about her experiences as a white, chronically ill, LGBTQ+ woman without much formal education due to access barriers. She believes that disabled identity and solidarity are key for people to explore and use their voices.

Abdi Gas

Abdi Gas joined Scope in 2018 and currently works as Membership and Events Programme Coordinator, and supports the Cerebral Palsy Network activities. He is a deaf graduate, with a strong affiliation to Inclusion and Access. He has worked throughout the UK and in other countries as an Access Consultant and an advisor on Deaf Issues and ensuring access in the workplace. Abdi continues to support the Deaf Community through a range of charity volunteering.

Jacqueline Stephens (Chair)

Long-standing member of Scope, Jacqueline is part of Scope Assembly and Scope Cerebral Palsy Network. Diagnosed with cerebral palsy at a young age, Jacqueline is following a successful career as Business Development Manager. She is a strenuous and unstoppable activist for disabled people's rights, working to foster inclusion of black and other ethnic minorities groups in the fight for disability equality.

How to attend the meeting

The event is open to all members of Scope who registered by Monday 7 November. It will take place online on Zoom. We will send you the link to join one day before the event.

If you know anyone who would like to participate in the event, please tell them to become a Scope member for free today.

The programme

Please connect yourself a few minutes before 6.30pm. We will follow this programme:

• 6.30pm: Welcome from Giovanni Gaetani, Scope’s Membership Programme Lead 
  • 6.35pm: Jacqueline Stephens (Chair) introduces the theme and the speakers
  • 6.40pm: Icebreaker activities (using Zoom polls and breakout rooms)
  • 6.50pm to 7.30pm: Speakers panel
  • 7.30pm to 7.55pm: Roundtable with members
  • 8pm: Event ends

Please note that the session will be recorded for internal purposes. The recording will not be shared externally.

Thanks for your support, and feel free to contact me for anything at membership@scope.org.uk

I hope to see you on the 14!

Giovanni

Giovanni Gaetani (he/him)
Membership Programme Lead
Here East Press Centre, 14 East Bay Lane
E15 2GW, London (UK)

Comments

• Giovanni_Scope
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Please feel free to register and attend the meeting anyway. You can participate at your own conditions, with the camera off, the microphone muted, and simply follow the discussion without intervening.

Alternatively, you can watch the recording of the event afterwards?

In any case, we want to be as inclusive as possible, so please let me know (via message or email) how we can make this meeting more accessible for you.

I hope this helps,

Giovanni
    giovanni.gaetani@scope.org.uk
    E15 2GW, London (UK)
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Signed up!
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Giovanni_Scope
    Options
    Pam said:
    Hoping to watch it afterwards on something??
    Sure, @Pam!

We will send the recording of the event to all members afterwards.

Are you already a member of Scope?
    If not, please become a Scope member for free today!

Please note that being part of the Online Community is something different from being a member of Scope. If you have any questions, I am here to help.

Thank you for your support,

Giovanni
    E15 2GW, London (UK)
  • Jean Eveleigh
    Jean Eveleigh Scope Member Posts: 185 Pioneering
    Options
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I hope you enjoy it @Jean Eveleigh :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Giovanni_Scope
    Options
    Ada said:
    I was hoping there would be a link to watch it afterwards 
    Hi Ada,

We will share the recording of the event afterwards :-)
    E15 2GW, London (UK)
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,105 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Giovanni_Scope - is there an easier way to input your D.O.B.? Sort of hoped I could do so without scrolling back way too many years! Would appreciate if you could input this just in the format of day, month & year, thank you. Month, then day isn't the usual format, but trying to complete with this form, then it just seems to come up with 2022, & I was born a little earlier than this!
  • Anastasia_T22
    Anastasia_T22 Scope Member Posts: 18 Connected
    Options
    How show do I attend the event?  Anastasia 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @chiarieds What a great question! Is it possible to type in your date of birth? Hopefully, this is something that @Giovanni_Scope can help with. If not, it may raise an area of improvement for the future so thank you  :)

@Anastasia_T22 It will be an online event! If you register for the event, a link should be sent out to you through email closer to the time. If you click the link you can then attend. Please don't hesitate to let us know if you need any further clarification  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,105 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @L_Volunteer - no you can't just type in your D.O.B; if only it were that easy! :)
  • L_Volunteer
    Options
    Oh no, I was hoping it was @chiarieds! Wishful thinking. Hopefully @Giovanni_Scope will be onto helping you with this one soon  :)

• Anastasia_T22
    Options
    I want to go go to the event tomorrow.  I hope that someone will see this message?   Anastasia 
  • Giovanni_Scope
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    Hi @Giovanni_Scope - is there an easier way to input your D.O.B.? Sort of hoped I could do so without scrolling back way too many years! Would appreciate if you could input this just in the format of day, month & year, thank you. Month, then day isn't the usual format, but trying to complete with this form, then it just seems to come up with 2022, & I was born a little earlier than this!
    Hi @chiarieds

Thank you for your feedback and sorry for the inconvenience!

We are aware of that problem and we are trying to improve that feature in our sign up form.

In the meantime, can you please send me your correct date of birth (and full name) via private message or email?

Thank you for your patience and support,

Giovanni
    E15 2GW, London (UK)
  • Giovanni_Scope
    Options
    Hi @Anastasia_T22

The event is next Monday, on 14 November!

Please register yourself today to the event

I hope to see you there!

Giovanni
    E15 2GW, London (UK)
  • Anastasia_T22
    Options
    Giovanni hi, are you able register me on my behalf?   I don’t know how to register.  Kind regards Anastasia  
  • Giovanni_Scope
    Options
    Giovanni hi, are you able register me on my behalf?   I don’t know how to register.  Kind regards Anastasia  
    Can you please send me your full name and email address via private message?

I can register yourself to the event, but I need to check that you are a member of Scope first.

If not, are you help me to sign you up as a Scope member - which is different from being a member of the online community?

Thanks for your support,

Giovanni
    E15 2GW, London (UK)
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,563 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    All signed up 
  • L_Volunteer
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Thanks @durhamjaide2001. We all hope you enjoy it.

If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to let us know. We are all more than happy to try to help  :)

• creevehope
    creevehope Scope Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options

Hello everyone,

I’m excited to invite you to the first Scope Members Social event, which will take place online on Monday 14 November 2022, from 6.30pm to 8pm.

Scope Members Social events are an occasion for our members to meet each other, share their lived experience of disability and have fun!

The theme of this first event is: "Embracing your disabled identity". You will first hear from our speakers about their experiences, then you will be able to share your own experience living as a disabled person.

The deadline to register for the event is 7 November. As a gift, the first 30 members who register will receive a vegan snack box at home.

Register now and get your free snack box

[Alt-text: From top-left, in clockwise order: Harriet Cavanagh, Judith Smale, Jacqueline Abdi Gas]

The speakers

Judith Smale

Age 42, Judith has Fascio Scalpio Humerio Muscular Dystrophy. Diagnosed at the age of 8, she uses an electric wheelchair since 12. First class Business Studies degree from the University of Northumbria, she won 1998 Young Achiever of the Year. She works as Volunteering Manager for Cumbria CVS. Judith enjoys cooking, food, going to concerts, gardening, travelling the world, and spending time with family, friends and her husband Nathan.

Harriet Cavanagh

Harriet (she/her) has worked at Scope since 2015, she's now part of Scope’s Insight team. She has worked and volunteered in many disability, LGBTQ+ and equity related projects. She became disabled as a young teenager and has spoken about her experiences as a white, chronically ill, LGBTQ+ woman without much formal education due to access barriers. She believes that disabled identity and solidarity are key for people to explore and use their voices.

Abdi Gas

Abdi Gas joined Scope in 2018 and currently works as Membership and Events Programme Coordinator, and supports the Cerebral Palsy Network activities. He is a deaf graduate, with a strong affiliation to Inclusion and Access. He has worked throughout the UK and in other countries as an Access Consultant and an advisor on Deaf Issues and ensuring access in the workplace. Abdi continues to support the Deaf Community through a range of charity volunteering.

Jacqueline Stephens (Chair)

Long-standing member of Scope, Jacqueline is part of Scope Assembly and Scope Cerebral Palsy Network. Diagnosed with cerebral palsy at a young age, Jacqueline is following a successful career as Business Development Manager. She is a strenuous and unstoppable activist for disabled people's rights, working to foster inclusion of black and other ethnic minorities groups in the fight for disability equality.

How to attend the meeting

The event is open to all members of Scope who registered by Monday 7 November. It will take place online on Zoom. We will send you the link to join one day before the event.

If you know anyone who would like to participate in the event, please tell them to become a Scope member for free today.

The programme

Please connect yourself a few minutes before 6.30pm. We will follow this programme:

• 6.30pm: Welcome from Giovanni Gaetani, Scope’s Membership Programme Lead 
    • 6.35pm: Jacqueline Stephens (Chair) introduces the theme and the speakers
    • 6.40pm: Icebreaker activities (using Zoom polls and breakout rooms)
    • 6.50pm to 7.30pm: Speakers panel
    • 7.30pm to 7.55pm: Roundtable with members
    • 8pm: Event ends

Please note that the session will be recorded for internal purposes. The recording will not be shared externally.

Thanks for your support, and feel free to contact me for anything at membership@scope.org.uk

I hope to see you on the 14!

Giovanni

I still haven’t got anything i not sure if it becomes I signed up for this before becoming a scope member 
  • Giovanni_Scope
    edited November 2022
    Options

I still haven’t got anything i not sure if it becomes I signed up for this before becoming a scope member 
    Hi @creevehope

EDIT: I found out your email address and sent you the Zoom link to join the event today :smile:

Thank you!

Giovanni
    E15 2GW, London (UK)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.