What don't they tell us — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What don't they tell us

Options
Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,698 Disability Gamechanger
Call me naïve but it's only recently I realised how much we get manipulated by media and what they do or don't cover.

Like there's protests all over regarding fuel and energy and not just in the UK, but the extent is barely covered. Same with the protests at political conventions and 
And don't get me started on how little the issues in Iran are being covered. 

Also why is it ever okay for someone to buy a injunction on media to keep them quiet on certain people and topics? More ways for the rich to get away with stuff.

Does it make anyone else question what else they don't tell us? 

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,657 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Media isn't generally 'for information'...there's always an agenda, whether that's pushing some political parties or belief systems or whatever.  It's largely done to spread fear and control people while making them think they're making their own choices.  We're unlikely to ever see both sides of any story just watching news coverage.  In case it hasn't come across, I'm really not a fan of mainstream media!  ;)
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    I think that's where I've gone wrong, it's only recently that I realised it isn't for information and there aren't any impartial news outlets left. It actually shocked me a little bit but it means I now approach the news in a different way. 
    I guess you could say I've been awakened :D 

I never realised how much it does control what you think and tell you what to believe. I've started to question more and more why an article is written and who is funding it. 

I've always done it when researching for study but it never occurred to me to do it with mainstream media. 

Do you read any news at all @OverlyAnxious?
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 52,006 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I always find if I want to know what's going on In a different country I go to that country's news, not from UK. 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,657 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

I do check major headlines every day, and then research more about things I'm particularly interested in, but it's always taken with a pinch of salt now.  I don't let any of it take over the whole day as I used to!

I also get a lot of news indirectly through social media 'friends', seeing things from people who are actually at an event.  Sometimes I agree with them, sometimes not, but it's often a more honest angle than media outlets.  Unfortunately, most people will 'unfollow' someone as soon as they share an alternate belief, which leaves social media to be very one sided for many people.

I also like watching travel programmes such as those with Simon Reeve, he's generally fairly balanced in views and shows things from more than one perspective.
  • Biblioklept
    Options

I do check major headlines every day, and then research more about things I'm particularly interested in, but it's always taken with a pinch of salt now.  I don't let any of it take over the whole day as I used to!

I also get a lot of news indirectly through social media 'friends', seeing things from people who are actually at an event.  Sometimes I agree with them, sometimes not, but it's often a more honest angle than media outlets.  Unfortunately, most people will 'unfollow' someone as soon as they share an alternate belief, which leaves social media to be very one sided for many people.

I also like watching travel programmes such as those with Simon Reeve, he's generally fairly balanced in views and shows things from more than one perspective.
    I've found this to be a great source, particularly with the Iran stuff. I've not heard of Simon Reeve so going to look him up. 
    I like reading people's beliefs even if they differ from my own. It's changed my mind or broadened my approach to many a topic!!
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Sandy_123 said:
    I always find if I want to know what's going on In a different country I go to that country's news, not from UK. 
    This is a good idea but if it's not covered at all by the UK mainstream media I wouldn't always think to look for another source but I'm going to try this more <3 Thank you @Sandy_123
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    What an interesting and insightful thread! If anyone else wishes to contribute to this thread, please feel free to  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,768 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It has to be said in fairness that it anything but easy for media outlets to get any "news" out of Iran.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Biblioklept
    Options
    woodbine said:
    It has to be said in fairness that it anything but easy for media outlets to get any "news" out of Iran.
    I have found it strange that even when they cover some of the isolated events going on there they're not really talking about the bigger picture or how widespread it all is right now. 
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    woodbine said:
    I have found it strange that even when they cover some of the isolated events going on there they're not really talking about the bigger picture or how widespread it all is right now. 
    No media source gives a full picture; they all portray what fits either their allegiance or what they think will achieve more viewers.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.