Doctors face 2 face or digital service? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Doctors face 2 face or digital service?

Options
wendy41
wendy41 Community member Posts: 227 Pioneering
How people prefer to be seen by their doctor.

Doctors face 2 face or digital service? 9 votes

Face 2 Face
66% 6 votes
Video call
11% 1 vote
Telephone
22% 2 votes

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,436 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't mind telephone or f2f sometimes it's trivial enough for telephone and beats going to the drs, on other hand sometimes its nessasary to actually go in to see a dr
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Doctors notes were fine over the phone, but do miss seeing a Doctor at the surgery, would be good to see who's actually there ha ha.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I prefer face to face.

I find it extremely hard to get anything done over the telephone.

Even better for me would be e-mail, but most doctors - and indeed other services - don't use e-mail, for some reason!!

E-mail is best for me as I find it easiest to write down what I'm going to say. At a face to face appointment half the time spent is the doctor reading a letter I've pre-written, as I find this easier than speaking, so would make it a lot easier for both sides if they used e-mail!
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    I prefer face to face.

I find it extremely hard to get anything done over the telephone.

Even better for me would be e-mail, but most doctors - and indeed other services - don't use e-mail, for some reason!!

E-mail is best for me as I find it easiest to write down what I'm going to say. At a face to face appointment half the time spent is the doctor reading a letter I've pre-written, as I find this easier than speaking, so would make it a lot easier for both sides if they used e-mail!
    I've always been too scared to write a letter and actually give it to them, but I do write down what I want to say before appointments in case I get brave enough and to try and prompt me to say it all.
    Have they ever been weird about it or are they quite happy to read them? 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Biblioklept I have never experienced any doctor or health professional being weird about me giving them a letter. I think at the end of the day they just want as much information as possible in order to be able to help you and so they don't mind how you give them that information.

Maybe a "letter" is the wrong word, it's more just a couple of pages of notes or bullet points explaining what is wrong, what I want help with, or anything else I think they should know.

What is it that makes you scared to hand over a letter? Is it purely in case they react badly?
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Like many people here, I would have to say it depends! It depends how urgent it is and the nature  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    @Biblioklept I have never experienced any doctor or health professional being weird about me giving them a letter. I think at the end of the day they just want as much information as possible in order to be able to help you and so they don't mind how you give them that information.

Maybe a "letter" is the wrong word, it's more just a couple of pages of notes or bullet points explaining what is wrong, what I want help with, or anything else I think they should know.

What is it that makes you scared to hand over a letter? Is it purely in case they react badly?
    I think it's of doing something 'weird' or 'different' or that they'd react badly too. It's reassuring to know you've never had a bad reaction to it and I will keep working towards being brave enough to do it!! 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.