Random things I wondered — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Random things I wondered

Options
Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
I don't think anyone will be able to answer them my mind is very distracted by these questions at the moment but if I google I'll go in a deep dive when I'm meant to be working, so putting my thoughts here!! <3

Why are men and women's buttons on different sides? I bought a "men's" top recently as it had a design I liked that wasn't available in "women's" and it was the first time I noticed they do up the opposite way!!! 

Why do finger tips get wrinkly in water?? I've thought about this since I was little as it used to creep me out and I needed a logical reason and the only thing I've come up with is that it helps us pick up things when our hands are wet, but why does it happen?? What causes it?

Who was the first person to celebrate their birthday?? Like did some random person just decide one day "Ooooh everyone should gather and celebrate me!" or was it their parents? How did the tradition of celebrating birthdays start?

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Interesting questions @Biblioklept! I also don't want to fall into a Google hole, so I'll hope someone else has some answers for you :D 

However, I think I read somewhere that the buttons thing is from the past, when women were more likely to be dressed by a servant, so it was helpful to have the buttons on the other person's right hand side? I'm not sure if that's true, though!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'd heard the same about finger tips in the water @Biblioklept, in a guide online it says: 

"When you soak in water, your nervous system sends a message to your blood vessels to shrink. Your body responds by sending blood away from the area, and the loss of blood volume makes your vessels thinner. The skin folds in over them, and this causes wrinkles." 

Hopefully that helps answer the what and why! :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Interesting questions @Biblioklept! I also don't want to fall into a Google hole, so I'll hope someone else has some answers for you :D 

However, I think I read somewhere that the buttons thing is from the past, when women were more likely to be dressed by a servant, so it was helpful to have the buttons on the other person's right hand side? I'm not sure if that's true, though!
    Oooh that's quite interesting I didn't think about it being easier or harder to undo or do up for someone else. It's weird it hasn't ever changed
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    I'd heard the same about finger tips in the water @Biblioklept, in a guide online it says: 

"When you soak in water, your nervous system sends a message to your blood vessels to shrink. Your body responds by sending blood away from the area, and the loss of blood volume makes your vessels thinner. The skin folds in over them, and this causes wrinkles." 

Hopefully that helps answer the what and why! :)
    That's so strange!!! There must be a reason for them to shrink and send blood away from an area. How odd! Thank you <3 
  • JustPete
    JustPete Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 303 Pioneering
    Options
    That's so strange!!! There must be a reason for them to shrink and send blood away from an area. How odd! Thank you <3 
    It will likely be the body protecting itself.  Finger tips are disposable, vital organs need the blood - is my guess
    I am a Scope Community Volunteer Adviser with knowledge of "life"!  Lived experience including employing personal assistants, being gay, sport & leisure inclusion & participation, mental health issues.  

What is the bravest thing you've ever said? asked the boy. 'Help,' said the horse.  'Asking for help isn't giving up,' said the horse. 'It's refusing to give up.”
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    If I had to make an educated guess, that would be mine too @JustPete, thanks :) 
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

• Biblioklept
    Options
    JustPete said:
    It will likely be the body protecting itself.  Finger tips are disposable, vital organs need the blood - is my guess
    Ooooh I'd never have thought of that but it makes complete sense!! Thank you @JustPete <3
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    I have another question I thought of - why do some car windows have the little black dots on them? Do all cars have it??? 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    I don't know that one @Biblioklept, if I have time today I might venture to google...unless one of our more knowledgeable members has the answer! 
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.