Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Carers advise

tara2019 Community member Posts: 234 Pioneering
Hi can anyone help need advise at this time my daughter is my full time paid carer which is coming to a end my mum who is 68 and on state pension £1 85 a week she has taken over as my care giver duties she has savings of 10 grand would it be in her interest if she claimed carers for me as she helps more than 35 hrs a week can any one advise please thanks


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,310 Disability Gamechanger
    Can you please explain what you mean by this?
    tara2019 said:
    Hi can anyone help need advise at this time my daughter is my full time paid carer which is coming to a end
    Has your daughter ended her carers allowance claim?
    If she has then your mum can claim carers allowance but she can't be paid it because her state pension is more than the carers allowance. She will have an underlying entitlement to it, which means she'll be able to claim pension credit, which will include the carers premium of £38.85/week. (unless she lives with a partner that is under state pension age) Those of state pension age can have savings of up to £10,000 without it affecting any means tested benefits.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • tara2019
    tara2019 Community member Posts: 234 Pioneering
    Thankyou poppy your advice is spot on my daughter thankfully has given her best. in lock down she had my 3rd grandchild n ive now got a 4th grandchild so it's getting impossible for her to help me x my mum doesn't have a partner he past away 2018 but my sister has split up with husband and now stays with our mum. I've gone to turn to us calculations she might get some of council tax 🤔 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    You are welcome @tara2019. It is the very least you deserve. 

    Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything else to support you. We are all here for you and listening to you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

    Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • tara2019
    tara2019 Community member Posts: 234 Pioneering
    Hi everyone wondering if anyone can help ino ive asked advice on carers allowance my daughter cancelled the carers on 5th jan 23 and put in a new carers claim for my mum 6th Jan 23 she on state pension my question is we put claim for carers do we need to wait for decision for my mum to claim pension credit underline payment or is filling the carers form inform pension credit 
    Hope someone can help  thanks
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2023
    I would make the PC claim now and tell them that she is waiting for a decision on the CA claim.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.