What trimmings do you have? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What trimmings do you have?

Options
Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
I see all the time people say they're having a roast dinner "with all the trimmings", are there standard set 'trimmings' and what are they? 

For me it means having stuffing, veg and potato along with a meat option. 

What trimmings do you have and does the type of meat (or veggie main) change the types of trimmings?

Comments

• SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Biblioklept i know what your saying darling, as an older person i think it's because when we were younger it was like if you had roast beef you would have yorkshire puddings and mustard or horse radish, if you had roast lamb it would be mint sauce and roast pork would be apple sauce and crackling and stuffing.  Nower days people have what they like and don't stick to the old traditions. If were having a roast dinner and i say all the trimmings i usually mean potatoes - roasted or mash or both and at least two kinds of veg and yes i will still stick to yorkshire puds with beef ha ha xx
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,395 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I will have any veg with any meat, it depends what i feel like having that week. If i have lamb, it's with homemade mint sauce, can't stand that shop bought stuff, makes me cringe.
    Usually i do roast potatoes but never do mash at the same time. I'm not a fan of frozen veg either, except for peas. My daughter like mustard but will have it with any meat, except lamb because we have mint sauce with that.
    Roast parsnips only in the winter because they are at their best when the weather is colder. Yum! can't wait for those.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    What an interesting and insightful thread! Thanks for starting this thread @Biblioklept

Yes, I would say the type of meat changes the type of trimmings. It was particularly insightful hearing @SueHeath's response to this thread.

I will look forward to hearing everyone else's responses if anyone else wishes to share their thoughts in response to this thread  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,832 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We don't stick to tradition, we have yorkshire puddings with every meat, and mint and cranberry sauce with any meat. When I say trimmings I mean everything, roasters and mash, stuffing, yorkies, 3 lots of veg.  
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    I will have any veg with any meat, it depends what i feel like having that week. If i have lamb, it's with homemade mint sauce, can't stand that shop bought stuff, makes me cringe.
    Usually i do roast potatoes but never do mash at the same time. I'm not a fan of frozen veg either, except for peas. My daughter like mustard but will have it with any meat, except lamb because we have mint sauce with that.
    Roast parsnips only in the winter because they are at their best when the weather is colder. Yum! can't wait for those.
    I've never thought of having mustard with a roast I will have to try it one day.
    Is homemade mint sauce hard to do?
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    SueHeath said:
    Hi @Biblioklept i know what your saying darling, as an older person i think it's because when we were younger it was like if you had roast beef you would have yorkshire puddings and mustard or horse radish, if you had roast lamb it would be mint sauce and roast pork would be apple sauce and crackling and stuffing.  Nower days people have what they like and don't stick to the old traditions. If were having a roast dinner and i say all the trimmings i usually mean potatoes - roasted or mash or both and at least two kinds of veg and yes i will still stick to yorkshire puds with beef ha ha xx
    Do you only have yorkshire puds with beef then? I love yorkshire puds could eat them on their own without any meal! :D 
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Sandy_123 said:
    We don't stick to tradition, we have yorkshire puddings with every meat, and mint and cranberry sauce with any meat. When I say trimmings I mean everything, roasters and mash, stuffing, yorkies, 3 lots of veg.  
    What does cranberry sauce taste like? Is it sweet? 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,832 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Kind of sweet and sour. I love it I like home made fresh better
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,112 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As a child I remember my Mum serving a big piece of Yorkshire Pudding, with lots of gravy, before the roast beef, roast pots & veg; it was supposed to fill you up so you needed less meat.
    I carried on the tradition by doing one Yorkshire pudding in a large rectangular tray, then cutting it up, but served it with the roast beef, etc. The first time my now daughter-in-law had some, she wondered why it wasn't small & round! :)
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    As a child I remember my Mum serving a big piece of Yorkshire Pudding, with lots of gravy, before the roast beef, roast pots & veg; it was supposed to fill you up so you needed less meat.
    I carried on the tradition by doing one Yorkshire pudding in a large rectangular tray, then cutting it up, but served it with the roast beef, etc. The first time my now daughter-in-law had some, she wondered why it wasn't small & round! :)
    Oooh that just triggered a childhood memory for me!! I was at my friend's house for dinner one Sunday and her step-mum made a roast with the most delicious Yorkshire pudding I'd ever ever tried. It was just as you described, a slice from a large square tray!! I'd completely forgotten that until now and forgotten that they don't just exist in the small round version!
    That's so interesting the history behind it being to fill you up and that you had it before the meal! 

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We had yorkshire pudding as a starter and with the roast as kids like mentioned it was supposed to fill you up so you didn't want as much meat 

Being a yorkshire lass we have them with any meat 
    If chicken we had seasoned yorkshire made with really fine chopped onions and sage in the batter 

I also do roast root veg with the roast potatoes and like cauliflower cheese with a roast 

With lamb onion sauce as well as mint . I put mint sauce in the gravy and have with any meat 

A yorkshire tradition is also to have left over yorkshire with golden syrup for dessert 

Or make pancakes on Monday and have with left over meat and veg made into bubble and squeak 
  • SueHeath
    Options
    When we were young, back in the day of black and white TV ha ha - our Mom would make the big yorkshire pud for Sunday dinner, we would have half with dinner then the other half cold in the evening with sugar sprinkled on it.
    Isn't it amaizing how we have different types of food differently in our regions. I love hearing about this x
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Toby always loved my Yorkshire pudding when little then suddenly wouldn't eat it . He said it was the wrong shape as at school it was round and I made big square ones cut up . Had to buy some round muffin tins 
  • SueHeath
    Options
    To be fair @janer1967 i prefer the round ones now x
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,395 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Is homemade mint sauce hard to do?

No, very easy. Chop the fresh mint as small as possible. Add a tiny amount of boiling water (brings out the flavour of the mint) then add brown vinegar and stir in sugar to taste, remember it should taste sweet. Then leave to stand so the sugar eventually desolves.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    That sounds simple enough for me to try, thanks Poppy123456!! <3 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Ooo, clicking on this one was a mistake, I'm hungry now :D
    I always took "all the trimmings" to mean everything outside the meat, veg and gravy part of the roast. Like pigs in blanket, Yorkshire puddings and any additional sauces. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • SueHeath
    Options
    You have me thinking now @janer1967 I might have a play with putting different seasonings in the yorkshire batter mix x
  • wendy41
    wendy41 Community member Posts: 227 Pioneering
    edited November 2022
    Options
    when I was younger I'd occasionally get asked for Sunday Dinner. Roast lamb, Roasties, Mash, carrot and turnip mashed together, stuffing, yorkshire puddings, cabbage and onion gravy and mint sauce. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.