Hi, I am after some advice around terminology — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I am after some advice around terminology

Options
WheelyGoodGuy
WheelyGoodGuy Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi All,

I am a full time wheelchair user due to a spinal cord injury (T9/10 incomplete) along with some issues including Heart Issues (Have had 1 heart attack and 6 cardiac arrests).

I became disabled almost 5 years ago and I work for a holiday resort in Wales and am in charge of analytics and data. We are in the process of a digital transformation process whereby we are changing our systems, and one of the systems we are changing is the booking system for activities (many different activities on site from Archery to Shows to Spa Treatments) on site. We are keen to know about any disabilities in advance of the activity taking place to ensure that the person with the disability can take part safely and that we can provide the appropriate reasonable adjustments.

As such we will have a section on the website that guests will complete when booking the activity that guests will be able to tick.

I have spoken to an advisor at scope as well as some others and we have come up with the proposed list below.

I am keen to see how everyone feels about the list. Are there any obvious omissions ? Is the terminology okay or is it offensive to anyone ? (and if so what alternative would you suggest) 
Is a list appropriate or would a free text box be better.  Should the list be "in your face" so that everyone sees it and has the change to choose (or not) or should it be a second page if guests choose a I have accessibility requirements box. 

Neuro Diverse
Visual Impairment
Hearing Impairment
Mental Impairment
Learning Disabilities
Wheelchair User
Other mobility issues
Neuological Impairment
Other disability (not specified above)

There would be / could be a sentence asking guests to choose and to say that if their disability is not  on the list then please contact X email address.

(There would also be list of dietary requirements and allergies that guests may also have to fill in depending on whether food is part of the activity)

Thoughts ?

Simon

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

I don't know how some of those listed would indicate what reasonable adjustments would be required as they are so wide range eg learning difficulties,  mental impairment (maybe not call it impairment) 

I personally would just have physical condition. Mental condition,  mobility issue , sensory condition,  wheelchair user 

Then a free box asking what reasonable adjustments are required for the individual 

Just my opinion 
  • forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 507 Pioneering
    Options
    Communication Impairment, it's often missed out but pretty crucial!
  • wendy41
    wendy41 Community member Posts: 227 Pioneering
    Options
    I'd say keep it simple as you've stated. Because you can't please everyone. But you are given the option to say otherwise. 
  • daz2
    daz2 Community member, CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 120 Pioneering
    Options
    I was in a meeting the other day discussing language and according to the Chair of a network for people with sight loss, it's no longer sight loss or visual impairment. Apparently it's now Sight Impaired or Sight Impairment. I'd go with Hearing Loss rather than Hearing Impairment. The problem for questions like these is no matter what language you use someone will find it offensive. I've been doing disability rights work for nearly 30 years and terminology changes so quickly that one day a word will be fine and the next day it will be offensive. The first question could be "Do you consider yourself to be disabled?" followed by a drop box with the list of conditions. Maybe "Neurological Condition" rather than impairment and drop Mental Impairment completely. As Janer1967 says there are a lot of conditions that fall under Neurological. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.