Blue badge without doctor's letter — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Blue badge without doctor's letter

Options
Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,698 Disability Gamechanger
Does anyone know if it's possible to get around the requirement for a doctor's letter for a blue badge?
My council states you require one but I will never ever ever ask my doctor. Not only is it impossible for me to get an appointment, I'm not good at advocating for myself and never get anything investigated or ask questions because I just can't do it. 

My conditions qualify me, but not the points in PIP to make it automatic. So I need a letter from GP/medical professional but I can't do that 

Would they make allowances if I explained?

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Biblioklept

I'm so sorry you feel you can't get that support from your doctor. I'm just going to link the NHS page about finding someone to advocate for you, if you feel it'll become helpful to you at some point. 

I have been reading the government website about Blue Badge requirements and it says;

If you are applying without one of the benefits, the application will need to be assessed by the issuing local council. To help assess the application, you’ll be asked to provide extra information depending on the answers you give when you are checking eligibility.

If you cannot walk or find walking difficult or you have a non-visible (hidden) condition, you will be asked to provide details of any:

• relevant medication that is taken
    • relevant treatments that you receive or are due to receive
    • healthcare or associated professionals that have been involved with the treatment of your condition

You will be asked if you want to upload supporting documents. This could be prescriptions, diagnosis letters or correspondence between professionals that treat your condition.

If you cannot walk or find walking difficult, you will also be asked questions around how your condition affects your walking.

If you have a non-visible (hidden) condition, you will also be asked questions around how journeys between your vehicle and destination are affected by your condition.

It looks like any diagnosis letters or correspondence that you may already have would be ok to use. The other advice I'd give, is to ask your doctors receptionists if they have an app. You can sometimes (dependent on your GP surgery) give permission to have all your records on the NHS app.
    That way you can screenshot all of your appointments, notes from them. And you can even make appointments via the app as well if you feel trying to call to get one frustrating.

I hope it is something they have available to offer you <3
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,960 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry to go off topic.

But just wondering if you are happy to answer, as you seem to have some similar issues to me (intrusive thoughts, anxiety) although I know everyone is different. What it is that makes you want a badge?

I was thinking one would be helpful for me but I never applied.

I am able to physically walk but a badge would let me park closer to places and have less distance to walk from the car. It would not make much difference in my current situation as I have support but it would help a lot if and when I start going out alone.

To answer your question though, I think there is nothing to lose by trying. With my council it costs £10 to apply but you get that back if your application fails. That said yours may be different.
  • Biblioklept
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Not off topic at all @66Mustang. Basically the same reasons as you. I know not everyone agrees with blue badges unless physically unable to walk but it is something that would hugely help with my getting out of the house and start trying to go places again. 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,960 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Biblioklept

Thanks for the reply, it sounds like we are in a similar situation.

To add to the above reasons it would also help me with the anxiety that parking causes me, although I know that is not reason alone to get a badge as lots of people have anxiety with parking!

Please let us know how you get on if you apply!
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,781 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Anything that helps can only br good, possible just to speak to recession at surgery and ask if they can get GP to do a letter?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Biblioklept
    Options
    woodbine said:
    Anything that helps can only br good, possible just to speak to recession at surgery and ask if they can get GP to do a letter?
    They don't respond to emails and I've no other way to contact them but thank you for the suggestion <3 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,666 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have you tried emailing the council to ask? 

I managed to get a badge myself after a few emails back and forth explaining that I couldn't do a telephone assessment or travel to a centre.  I did send a copy of my patient record which was accessible online from my surgery.
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,804 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    woodbine said:
    They don't respond to emails and I've no other way to contact them but thank you for the suggestion <3 
    Could you phone them 
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Have you tried emailing the council to ask? 

I managed to get a badge myself after a few emails back and forth explaining that I couldn't do a telephone assessment or travel to a centre.  I did send a copy of my patient record which was accessible online from my surgery.
    I didn't think of that, I always try and play by the 'rules' and it didn't suggest it as an option so didn't think about it. I will try and find a contact - thank you!! <3
  • Biblioklept
    edited November 2022
    Options
    woodbine said:
    Could you phone them 
    Unfortunately I can't use the phone but I really appreciate the suggestion <3

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.