If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Please advise on fitnote etc

Options
Swtg22
Swtg22 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi I hope someone can help,. Though I will be contacting CAB on my issue, I have been signed off work for a year via sicknotes so far, my doctor gave me a letter stating I suffer severe depression / anxiety as I do, i am employed but have a sicknote every few months. I went to my doctor to get a sicknote recently and she has suddenly changed her mind, saying I need to start getting better and said I have been signed off too long now, she said she will only sign me off for 1 more month then no more. So now , as I am on universal credit, and on LCW, and still employed, I will end up with no sicknote after 1 month, what happens now? I cannot give up my job, or I will be penalised by universal credit? I have made a complaint about my gp to the surgery, and now want to change my gp, but will my new gp continue to support me by giving me a fitnote ? I will hope so, as I do not know where I am in all this, my rights. I am suffering severe depression and anxiety, how can my gp suddenly stop my sicknotes, I am not better just like that. How is this all going to affect me with my universal credit, and what about being employed and not being able to give a fitnote, the repercussions. I am feeling very vuleranable in all this. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you've already had your work capability assessment and been found to have LCW then i don't understand why you're continuing to send fit notes because you don't need to send them anymore. When you had the decision letter it should have advised you on this in the letter.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Swtg22
    Options
    Because i am still employed and my employer expects these. 
  • Swtg22
    Options
    I dont send these to UC, as you say, I dont need to send to them anymore, but my employer still expects a fitnote, they have not let me go in my job, though I do not want to return there, but if I gave up my job, then UC would then be trying to get me into work but I have limited capabilty of work, my gp wont give me a sicknote after one more month, do i need that for UC to do with LCW? 
  • Swtg22
    Options
    If you've already had your work capability assessment and been found to have LCW then i don't understand why you're continuing to send fit notes because you don't need to send them anymore. When you had the decision letter it should have advised you on this in the letter.

Hi ive sent a reply under yours, im not if I am meant to reply here or below
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You replyed correctly but i went to bed after i commented, sorry but it was rather late. You can try speaking to another GP to see if they will give you another fit note.
    If you leave your job nothing will happen to your UC because you've already been found to have LCW. However, i wouldn't advise anyone to leave their job without first getting some expert advice from ACAS. https://www.acas.org.uk/contact
    Swtg22 said:
     my gp wont give me a sicknote after one more month, do i need that for UC to do with LCW? 
    You don't need a fit note for UC.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You will still need a fit note as you say for your employer 

Have work discussed your return to work at all 

I would expect them to have referred you to oh by now for assessment on your fitness to return or reasonable adjustments 

Rather than leave you might be medically dismissed I would try get a copy of their long term absence policy and medical dismissal policy 

If you are in a union get their advice 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Good morning @Swtg22 i hope your well.
    Just reading your thread, poppy is the best on UC etc, but i was wondering with your job/work has HR been involved yet with your long term sick ?
  • Swtg22
    Options
    SueHeath said:
    Good morning @Swtg22 i hope your well.
    Just reading your thread, poppy is the best on UC etc, but i was wondering with your job/work has HR been involved yet with your long term sick ?
  • Swtg22
    Options
    thank you, I have about 8 months ago had numerous chats with my boss and HR andvthey are aware if my mental health. So it is left as its been, for me to give fitnotes, they have not said they are going to dismiss me, but if I leave off my own accord, thats my worry, to say I am leaving is then a voluntary thing and how does that affect me with Universal credit etc. As then am I going to be expected to look for work even if I am on LCW. 
  • Swtg22
    Options
    Thank you, I dont seem to be able to reply individually to people on here but just reply in  comments. I will find out somehow about being medically dismissed if I can. I applied for LCWRA. but was refused, and now am in the middle of an appeal, I am now in receipt if PIP, due to not only mental health issues but some physical disabilities I have. I have as said on another reply to a message on here ive had discussions months ago with HR and my boss, who have asked questions and ive answered and so they understand. I do not see that i could return to work in my present health. And the job I do would impact on my health. I have panic attacks and have an issue now with my heart whereby it races too fast si I am on medication for that also. I will look at finding out the absence policy if I can. Thank you
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Swtg22 you can reply to individuals either by putting their name like i have with yours or by pressing the quote prompt you can chat under each chat. I think you have got to see what your employers process is - ask your HR they should be able to help and explain all this to you, 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.