'Twitter's layoffs are a blow to accessibility' — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

'Twitter's layoffs are a blow to accessibility'

Options
Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
Wired: Twitter’s Layoffs Are a Blow to Accessibility
The company recently took major steps to make the platform more inclusive after pressure from disabled users. Then Elon Musk gutted its accessibility team.
After acquiring the company and slashing his staff, Elon Musk gutted formerly high-priority projects. He wiped out an entire group of artificial intelligence researchers. Additional cuts left the site’s content moderation manned by a skeleton crew. Another casualty? A small but vital group working to make Twitter more accessible. Without this team, Twitter users who have relied on accessibility tools worry that they’re losing a valuable online home for their communities. 
Even if another network with superior accessibility features emerges, the sting of losing a gathering place will remain. “I’m really sad my community is gone,” Kim says. 

Over to you...

Do you think Elon Musk is justified in his decision?

Can you think of another example of where accessibility has been deprioritised on a digital platform?

Do you use Twitter? Have you noticed any changes?

decorative

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,749 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't use twitter I prefer facebook for all it's faults, you have to wonder why Musk thought twitter was a wise spend at £38 billion ?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    I don`t use Twitter (I usually replace the i with an a, but that will be removed); Musk owns it, he can do what he wants (within the legal framework).

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.