If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is alibob65! It's a disgrace to be waiting this long

Options
alibob65
alibob65 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited December 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I sent my renewal pip away by next day delivery last June I am still waiting in November 3rd I phoned they said nobody should been waiting this long now from 4th Nov I received  text from assessment  I should be hearing from assessment team soon within 4 weeks  it's already 5 weeks phoned up yesterday said I'll hear from assessment department over 8 to weeks.its a disgrace to be waiting this long 18 months not one letter iv or my husband has to do the contacting them .my disability is getting worse which they know about sent them letters from my hospital. Its a disgrace how they are treating people 😪 

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,503 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @alibob65 :) I'm sorry to hear that you've been waiting quite a while now. Are you still receiving your payments in the meantime? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    alibob65 said:
    I sent my renewal pip away by next day delivery last June I am still waiting in November 3rd I phoned they said nobody should been waiting this long now from 4th Nov I received  text from assessment  I should be hearing from assessment team soon within 4 weeks  it's already 5 weeks phoned up yesterday said I'll hear from assessment department over 8 to weeks.its a disgrace to be waiting this long 18 months not one letter iv or my husband has to do the contacting them .my disability is getting worse which they know about sent them letters from my hospital. Its a disgrace how they are treating people 😪 
    Hi,
    You are one of many in the queue; so you aren`t being treated disgracefully at all.

• rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,664 Pioneering
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Cartini said:
    alibob65 said:
    Hi,
    You are one of many in the queue; so you aren`t being treated disgracefully at all.

Which ever way you look at it, all 'vulnerable' people trying to claim benefits are being treated badly, because it's a 'terrible' system, where individuals have to 'jump through hoops', even when they do, the decisions can 'wrongly' go against them, then you have more 'hoops' to jump through. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,098 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    rebel11 said:
    Cartini said:
    alibob65 said:
    Hi,

Which ever way you look at it, all 'vulnerable' people trying to claim benefits are being treated badly, because it's a 'terrible' system, where individuals have to 'jump through hoops', even when they do, the decisions can 'wrongly' go against them, then you have more 'hoops' to jump through. 

Being vulnerable doesn't automatically entitle anyone to any benefits.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • rebel11
    Options
    rebel11 said:
    Cartini said:
    alibob65 said:
    Hi,

O.K. for clarification,  'vulnerable' people who need to rely on the state to survive from one day to the next. To be honest I don't think there is a need for clarification.   
  • Cartini
    edited December 2022
    Options
    rebel11 said:
    Cartini said:
    alibob65 said:
    Hi,

Not everyone is being treated badly at all. Out of those who perceive they are being treated badly, most probably didn`t complete the application form correctly or had an unrealistic view of what they are (instead of could be) entitled to.  Entitlement is only in place following a successful application and assessment.
    The system is the way it is to ensure "fakers" and "scammers" can`t apply for something they should not receive; unfortunately most people don`t see or accept that.
    Having said that, I`m not saying DWP is free of mistakes.  Any organisation, especially when over worked and under staffed, is likely to make mistakes.

• Cartini
    Options
    rebel11 said:
    rebel11 said:
    Cartini said:
    alibob65 said:
    Hi,

O.K. for clarification,  'vulnerable' people who need to rely on the state to survive from one day to the next. To be honest I don't think there is a need for clarification.   
    You are saying only your opinion counts.  There are non-vulnerable people who need help from the state.

• rebel11
    Options
    Cartini said:
    rebel11 said:
    Cartini said:
    alibob65 said:
    Hi,

Not everyone is being treated badly at all. Out of those who perceive they are being treated badly, most probably didn`t complete the application form correctly or had an unrealistic view of what they are (instead of could be) entitled to.  Entitlement is only in place following a successful application and assessment.
    The system is the way it is to ensure "fakers" and "scammers" can`t apply for something they should not receive; unfortunately most people don`t see or accept that.
    Having said that, I`m not saying DWP is free of mistakes.  Any organisation, especially when over worked and under staffed, is likely to make mistakes.

Sorry, totally disagree, the system is flawed when genuine claimants are wrongly penalized, you may like to think the system is designed to ensure 'fakers and scammers' aren't successful in their claims, the fact is that the system is penalizing a lot of genuine claimants, some are exampled on this forum.  

• Cartini
    Options
    rebel11 said:
    Cartini said:
    rebel11 said:
    Cartini said:
    alibob65 said:
    Hi,

Sorry, totally disagree, the system is flawed when genuine claimants are wrongly penalized, you may like to think the system is designed to ensure 'fakers and scammers' aren't successful in their claims, the fact is that the system is penalizing a lot of genuine claimants, some are exampled on this forum.  

Exactly - "some", not all. 
    I don`t think anyone is penalised;  a "genuine claimant" can still make an unsuccessful application leading to them not being entitled to any award.  That`s not penalising, that`s the outcome and one which is usually the result of a badly completed application.

• poppy123456
    Options
    Completely agree with the poorly completed claim pack. The thing about PIP is, you can have a disability but not be entitled because if you don’t meet the criteria you won’t score the points needed for an award. There are people out there that just don’t qualify. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • rebel11
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Cartini said:
    rebel11 said:
    Cartini said:
    rebel11 said:
    Cartini said:
    alibob65 said:
    Hi,

I don`t think anyone is penalised;  a "genuine claimant" can still make an unsuccessful application leading to them not being entitled to any award.  That`s not penalising, that`s the outcome and one which is usually the result of a badly completed application.

Applications which are completed correctly are being 'penalized', claimants on this website have said as much. A claimant can correctly fill in their form, send evidence to back up the information on the form. Agents of the DWP can ask a string of 'loaded' questions that can have multiple answers, those answers can be used to negatively impact the information / evidence provided on the application form.        

I'm happy for you to disagree, as stated the system is 'flawed'. You think it's down to people not filling in the forms correctly, which just isn't the case.  
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Just because someone has said their form was filled out with all the information it doesn't mean it actually was. Medical evidence is only usually helpful if it states exactly how your conditions affect you and most doesn't.
  • rebel11
    Options
    Completely agree with the poorly completed claim pack. The thing about PIP is, you can have a disability but not be entitled because if you don’t meet the criteria you won’t score the points needed for an award. There are people out there that just don’t qualify. 
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/oct/01/unforgivable-uk-government-errors-denied-thousands-disability-benefits#:~:text=In the majority of cases,based on the same evidence.”
  • poppy123456
    Options
    rebel11 said:
    Cartini said:
    rebel11 said:
    Cartini said:
    rebel11 said:
    Cartini said:
    alibob65 said:
    Hi,

You think it's down to people not filling in the forms correctly, which just isn't the case.  

I disagree. I remember a Welfare Rights officer once told me that the majority of those that are refused are because of poorly completed claim packs.
    It's perfectly understandable that someone receives the PIP2 form, they open it and go into panic mode because they just don't know where to start.
    A lot of people live with their disability and just get used to their way of life being "normal" for them. When it comes to writing down how your conditions affect you this is where they struggle. Been there, done it myself.
  • rebel11
    Options
    rebel11 said:
    Cartini said:
    rebel11 said:
    Cartini said:
    rebel11 said:
    Cartini said:
    alibob65 said:
    Hi,

You think it's down to people not filling in the forms correctly, which just isn't the case.  

I disagree. I remember a Welfare Rights officer once told me that the majority of those that are refused are because of poorly completed claim packs.
    It's perfectly understandable that someone receives the PIP2 form, they open it and go into panic mode because they just don't know where to start.
    A lot of people live with their disability and just get used to their way of life being "normal" for them. When it comes to writing down how your conditions affect you this is where they struggle. Been there, done it myself.
    If that's the case (underlined), are there stats to back that up?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    If i had stats i would have posted them! I have no reason to not believe the WR officer where the information came from! Anyway, i've said what i needed to say so i'm now out.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    poppy123456 said: A lot of people live with their disability and just get used to their way of life being "normal" for them. When it comes to writing down how your conditions affect you this is where they struggle. Been there, done it myself.
    Have always said those who take life with the attitude 'shouldn't grumble, could be worse' often manage life better but it doesn't help with filling out ESA and PIP forms when you have to focus on your difficulties which is what makes completing them such a depressing experience which understandingly upsets many people.

Have heard many people say 'I can do that' and then partner, son or daughter says "but I help you with that' and then after a pause claimant says 'I suppose you do actually'. As you say, people get used to how they do things and accept it as their normal (which keeps them sane).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    calcotti said:
    poppy123456 said: A lot of people live with their disability and just get used to their way of life being "normal" for them. When it comes to writing down how your conditions affect you this is where they struggle. Been there, done it myself.
    Have always said those who take life with the attitude 'shouldn't grumble, could be worse' often manage life better but it doesn't help with filling out ESA and PIP forms when you have to focus on your difficulties which is what makes completing them such a depressing experience which understandingly upsets many people.

Have heard many people say 'I can do that' and then partner, son or daughter says "but I help you with that' and then after a pause claimant says 'I suppose you do actually'. As you say, people get used to how they do things and accept it as their normal (which keeps them sane).

Absolutely. I'm exactly the same doing my own forms but when it comes to my daughters, i find it so much easier because i'm the one that supports her with everything in life so i see it first hand.
  • Cartini
    Options
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.