What's the most British way of saying it's cold outside? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What's the most British way of saying it's cold outside?

Options
Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
Disclaimer: I've borrowed this question from Very British Things

What's the most British way of saying it's cold outside?
National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'll start.

'It's a bit nippy'
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's just a tad chilly! 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 565 Pioneering
    Options
    I'm freezing my dangly things off
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW Community member Posts: 355 Pioneering
    Options
    'bit parky out there!
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,467 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    For me it is the Met Office: Yellow Ice and Snow warnings.

You just know it will be cold when we are expecting yellow ice or yellow snow.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,700 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's chilly out here 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm frozen today
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Binky1234
    Binky1234 Community member Posts: 408 Pioneering
    Options
    It's cold enough to:
    Freeze the balls of a brass monkey.
    Knowing When to walk away is Wisdom, being able is courage, walking away with your head held high is dignity.
  • Puja
    Puja Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 104 Courageous
    Options
    Chuffin’ ‘ell its freezin’ 

or when you can see your breath when outside and can feel fingers and toes 🙃
    My Pronouns are (She/Her & They/Them)

I have lived experience of ND conditions, chronic pain, mental health & well-being, PIP, ESA, employment and benefits. 

😊 Why not fundraise for SCOPE for free while you shop online 💜💛 🎅🏻 💷💸 🍯💻 📱🛒 🛍️ 📦 

SCOPE ebay shop (online)
  • rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,662 Pioneering
    Options
    My capillaries are frozen, luckily I'm covered by the AA (Automobile Association). 
  • Sparklebright63
    Sparklebright63 Scope Member Posts: 182 Courageous
    Options
    It's Like been in an Artic Country the weather is So Cold.
  • Elysium
    Elysium Scope Member Posts: 98 Pioneering
    Options
    Binky1234 said:
    It's cold enough to:
    Yes this one!!!  :D
    what the heck is a brass monkey anyhoo?
    They/them, Autistic, Vegan, Pan/Demi, Teacher, Antiracist, Artist
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Not necessarily verbalised but just through body language - people going outside and quickly coming back inside saying 'not yet'  :D
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,647 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Elysium said:
    Binky1234 said:
    It's cold enough to:
    It was a cannon ball storage rack on a ship. 

The cold weather made the brass contract, so the balls no longer fitted in the rack and fell off. 

Not ideal to have cannon balls rolling around your ship during a battle at sea!  :D
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    More good ones @OverlyAnxious :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,647 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Nippy ain't the word
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,614 Pioneering
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Elysium said:
    Binky1234 said:
    It's cold enough to:
    It was a cannon ball storage rack on a ship. 

The cold weather made the brass contract, so the balls no longer fitted in the rack and fell off. 

Not ideal to have cannon balls rolling around your ship during a battle at sea!  :D
    This story is a myth. This story has been discredited by the U.S. Department of the Navy,etymologist Michael Quinion, and the Oxford English Dictionary (OED).
    They give five main reasons:
        The OED does not record the term "monkey" or "brass monkey" being used in this way.
        The purported method of storage of cannonballs ("round shot") is simply false. The shot was not stored on deck continuously on the off-chance that the ship might go into battle. Indeed, decks were kept as clear as possible.
        Furthermore, such a method of storage would result in shot rolling around on deck and causing a hazard in high seas. The shot was stored on the gun or spar decks, in shot racks—longitudinal wooden planks with holes bored into them, known as shot garlands in the Royal Navy, into which round shot was inserted for ready use by the gun crew.
        Shot was not left exposed to the elements where it could rust. Such rust could lead to the ball not flying true or jamming in the barrel and exploding the gun. Indeed, gunners would attempt to remove as many imperfections as possible from the surfaces of balls.
        The physics does not stand up to scrutiny. The contraction of both balls and plate over the range of temperatures involved would not be particularly large. The effect claimed possibly could be reproduced under laboratory conditions with objects engineered to a high precision for this purpose, but it is unlikely it would ever have occurred in real life aboard a warship.
    The phrase is most likely a humorous reference to emphasize how cold it is.

• vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,444 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
          Up north we don't notice.... If it snows we put a jumper on, but the shorts stay  ;)
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,700 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I can't wait to get home and get a cuppa 
  • rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,662 Pioneering
    Options
    I use to go to work wearing a short sleeved shirt in really low temperatures.

Can't do that these days, runny nose, tearful eyes etc.  

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.