First time PIP claim — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

First time PIP claim

Options
julie3d
julie3d Community member Posts: 19 Connected
Hi everyone, I applied for PIP for the first time the first week in July 2022 and had a ‘video’ assessment on 10th November. I found out on 26th November that I received 5 points for Daily Living and 0 points for Mobility. Obviously I’m disappointed but added to that is the fact that the assessor failed to mention the loss of video connection after about 2 minutes into the assessment yet still went on to describe the eye contact I had made throughout, my general appearance, how I looked on the day, how I didn’t appear to seem nervous and that I wasn’t sweating or trembling! I was applying as I have a visual impairment (macular degeneration and corneal scarring due to dry eye syndrome)and anxiety because of the problems it causes me. I was awarded Access to Work for both equipment and travel a couple of months ago as I’m only borderline on my sight test for driving and I’ve found it too stressful to drive now. I thought the assessment went well and the assessor seemed very nice, however she left out of the report things we had discussed and contradicted herself throughout. The report seems to be based on me not having any mental or cognitive impairments and hardly anything on the physical difficulties I have with my mobility even though I thought I gave good evidence with examples of falls I’ve had and day to day activities I cannot carry out by myself or at all now. I have applied for a mandatory reconsideration so I’ll just have to wait and see now how that goes. Just out of interest, if you are successful with that do you get a text to say you have been awarded PIP or just a letter to tell you? Thanks in advance 😊

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Mr decision is usually notified by letter it can take up to 12 weeks or longer for a decision 
  • julie3d
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Mr decision is usually notified by letter it can take up to 12 weeks or longer for a decision 
    Thanks for the warm welcome. The text I received did say reply would be within 8 weeks however I’m not expecting that as most people are saying within 12 weeks.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are welcome @julie3d. It is the very least you deserve. Hopefully, the time will go by quickly. How are you feeling about everything at the moment?

We are here for you and listening to you if you would like to share more with us. You don't have to face this, or anything else, alone if you don't want to.

Take care for now and we will look forward to, hopefully, hearing from you again soon  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • julie3d
    Options
    Thank you for your reply.
    I’m still very disappointed with the outcome but I’m more disappointed with the assessment report which seems to be the case with a lot of people. I’ll see what the mandatory reconsideration report says and take it from there. Do they ever send a text to say you have been awarded PIP from a mandatory reconsideration or is it always a letter? Thanks 😊 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I can really hear how you are feeling disappointed at the moment @julie3d. It is more a reflection of the difficult situation you are in than you as a person.

Best of luck with the mandatory reconsideration. How are you feeling about doing a mandatory reconsideration?  :)

In all honesty, I don't have experience in this area, unfortunately. Therefore, someone else - like Poppy or Calcotti would be best placed to answer your question.

I hope you receive an answer soon. In the meantime, we are all here for you and listening to you if you would like to talk about anything further with us 
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,724 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

In all honesty, I don't have experience in this area, unfortunately. Therefore, someone else - like Poppy or Calcotti would be best placed to answer your question.

Janer has already answered the question.
    janer1967 said:

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I hope you receive an answer soon. 
    It’s really annoying to post this as a response on a thread when the question has already been answered.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • julie3d
    Options
    Hi, sorry if my question caused a problem, I misread the response properly so apologies for that. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    If successful at MR (it's rare) they may send a text but again they don't always do this. You will receive a decision letter though as advised.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • julie3d
    Options
  • brandyhartley
    brandyhartley Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    I am a first time applying  for pip as well started 8 Sept
    Today got two text 807 stated not made there decision 
    Then 809 am text been awarded pip wait for let could take 2 weeks

Confused  what happens  next 
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

You will receive arrears owed and a letter in the post explaining your award and when your first ‘proper’ payment will be.
  • brandyhartley
    Options
    Thank you for explaining  just was confused  and pleased mixed emotions 
  • Queenv27
    Queenv27 Community member Posts: 51 Connected
    Options

Hi brandyhartley,
    Congratulations. 3-5 working days 
    Money  owed  will be paid into you account then letter of award follows.  
  • brandyhartley
    Options
    Thank you whole process  been  confusing  but very greatful  for explanation  on here x
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm glad the community could help @brandyhartley and do ask if we can help with anything else, even if it's just a chat :) 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • L_Volunteer
    Options
    Sorry Poppy and Calcotti. However, I would like to point out that "usually" does not mean "always". 

Glad we were able to support you though @julie3d. Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can support you further or if you have any other questions  :)

• poppy123456
    Options
    However, I would like to point out that "usually" does not mean "always". 

In this case with the decision then yes you will always receive a decision letter.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,125 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2022
    Options
    @L_Volunteer - I feel it would have been appropriate to say nothing more than, 'sorry.'
    You've caused the OP to unnecessarily apologise, when it's your comment that caused them confusion.
    You can be assured that if it's an area in which you have no expertise, then those that do have such experitise will indeed reply.
    P.S. after a knowledgeable member has replied, there's no need for any of us to say anything further unless we can meaningfully contribute to the discussion; frequently it sounds like you're undermining advice already given, sorry.
  • julie3d
    Options
    Hi, I just wanted to set the record straight here. I apologised as I had misread the answer not that it caused confusion. When I read it again it was my mistake so I apologised. I’m sorry that @L_Volunteer has been dragged into this when they were only trying to be helpful. I have found a lot useful information on here for which I am grateful and it took me a while to think about posting my own experience but to be honest I’m sorry I did now!  
    Thank you to those who answered my question. Best wishes. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.