What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Find out if I can get help

I have been on sick now for 4+going on 5 months now and we get 4 full payment and 4 half payment then s.t.p which is not a lot as I still have a mortgage to pay  I live on my own so now I'm on about £74.12 how are you to make ends meet im using all my savings up please that's me know if I can get any help !! 


  • Ruth22Ruth22 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    That should be 4 weeks and 4 weeks 
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering

    It's very difficult to advise without knowing more about you but if you are on SSP only then I would look at whether you can claim Income Support on top (IS can help you pay a mortgage, but there is a waiting period of 9 months). Be careful because if you are in a 'full service' area, Income Support will have been replaced by Universal Credit - I would recommend getting advice locally before claiming that (eg from Citizens Advice).

    Separately I would look into whether you can get any help with council tax from your local council - you should be getting the 25% reduction for living alone, but you may be entitled to other help too. 

    Finally I would also consider whether you can claim PIP (personal independence payment), you can look at the self-test to think about this. If you do get PIP or DLA, make sure you let the DWP and the local authority know (don't assume one bit of the DWP knows about the other bit!)

    You can have a look at all of this on the Scope benefits calculator.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.