Esa stopped, will I stop getting carers allowance? — Scope | Disability forum

Esa stopped, will I stop getting carers allowance?

AngelinaKieran94 Member Posts: 5 Listener
My son who is 24 who has aspergers has just been informed his ESA is stopped,after assesment,will I stop getting carers allowance now? 


  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,217 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi AngelinaKieran

    Carers allowance is if a claimant receives PIP not ESA so unless there has been any other change then your carers will continue

    Have you asked for a copy of the assessment report ?
    Have you asked for an MR ?


    The person you care for

    The person you care for must already get one of these benefits:

    • Personal Independence Payment - daily living component
    • Disability Living Allowance - the middle or highest care rate
    • Attendance Allowance
    • Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
    • Constant Attendance Allowance at the basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension
    • Armed Forces Independence Payment

    Your eligibility

    You must earn no more than £120 a week after tax and expenses. Expenses can include some of your pension contributions - and some of the costs of caring for your children or the disabled person while you’re at work.

    All of the following must also apply:

    • you’re 16 or over
    • you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone
    • you’ve been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years (this doesn’t apply if you’re a refugee or have humanitarian protection status)
    • you normally live in England, Scotland or Wales, or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces
    • you’re not in full-time education
    • you’re not studying for 21 hours a week or more
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • AngelinaKieran94
    AngelinaKieran94 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    MR? Thankyou for replying,yes my son gets p.I.p
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,800 Disability Gamechanger
    MR is a Mandatory Reconsideration and you must ask for this before you can request a Tribunal. You have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the MR. Having a copy of the assessment report will help you put the MR request in writing, as will knowing which group he thinks he should be in and the reasons why.
  • AngelinaKieran94
    AngelinaKieran94 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Thank you ,your advice is invaluable  :)


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.