PIP missed appointment out of my control — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP missed appointment out of my control

Options
Lucia
Lucia Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited November 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I used to get DLA at the highest rate for personal care & mobility, for Epilepsy & Fibromyalgia with a few other problems.  When I reapplied for PIP they awarded me with middle rate personal care and lower rate mobility, even though I am in a wheelchair!  this meant I lost my car.  My husband convinced me to ask for them to look at the decision again, which I did, I got an appointment for my health assessment however my husband got taken into A&E with a very serious illness and I told them and rearranged the appointment.  Unfortunately on my next appointment my carer was unable to come and I couldn't get there, I cannot manouvre the wheelchair on my own.  I gave them advanced warning and tried my best to get someone else to take me but I couldn't get anyone.  They said they would  try to rearrange it, but the rules have changed and you cannot change the appointment more than twice.  
I eventually got a letter saying I'm not getting any PIP. 
I'm not very good on the phone and dread talking to them.
Should I persist with trying to convince them to give me another health assessment or would it be better to reapply?
Thank you for any help you can give me.

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Lucia

Good Afternoon it’s great to meet you today.

I’m very very sorry ? to read about your current problems.

We have got some info below on how to win an appeal.

http://www.advicenow.org.uk/guides/how-win-pip-appeal

I have got more info if required????
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Lucia Pleased to meet you welcome. Thank you for joining and sharing.

Sorry what has happened. The main thing is now you have come to the forum. The right place to get information, support and advice.

You need first I would advise read what @steve51 has put up a link for you. This is I hope will give you some idea of an initial start in the process.

Understand the loss of your lifeline your car. I am very much the dealing with the same issues.  Had to hand back my car. As I am sure many community members feel the same and can identify what you are feeling right now.

Struggling today to get about, first time to use a taxi. All I can say is we are here to support. Offer what advice and information.

Please ask anything you need to know. One thing I have learnt if it is possible to get the support you need. Have a look on line. Something to consider is an advocate . You might find the services of an advocate to help you through any problems you may have.

I know you have a carer 

I myself find the phone hard to deal with and it is finding solutions to deal with this. I often write a word for word script. On paper to say what I need to explain, actually do say nervous on the phone. Have anxiety

Hopes that reassures you and please like to let you know we are here anytime to listen.

Pleasure to meet you

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.