Carers Allowance — Scope | Disability forum

Carers Allowance

Alison1993 Member Posts: 1 Listener
I am disabled I want to know can I claim carers allowance so I can pay for differant people to come in and look after me.


  • Adam_Alumni
    Adam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 164 Pioneering
    Hi @Alison1993
    A very warm welcome to our community.

    You may find our Help and support section helpful.

    All the best

  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,798 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Alison1993, and welcome!

    You can find information about eligibility for Carer's Allowance on this page.


    The person you care for

    The person you care for must already get one of these benefits:
    • Personal Independence Payment - daily living component
    • Disability Living Allowance - the middle or highest care rate
    • Attendance Allowance
    • Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
    • Constant Attendance Allowance at the basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension
    • Armed Forces Independence Payment
    Your eligibility

    You must earn no more than £120 a week after tax and expenses. Expenses can include:
    • 50% of your pension contributions
    • some of the costs of caring for your children or the disabled person while you’re at work
    All of the following must also apply:
    • you’re 16 or over
    • you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone
    • you’ve been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years (this does not apply if you’re a refugee or have humanitarian protection status)
    • you normally live in England, Scotland or Wales, or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces
    • you’re not in full-time education
    • you’re not studying for 21 hours a week or more
    You might still be eligible if you’re moving to or already living in another EEA country or Switzerland.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,525 Disability Gamechanger

    No, you can't claim carers allowance for yourself for this reason. Someone else can claim it because they look after you but you must receive one of the benefits listed above and the other conditions must also apply.
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @Alison1993

    CA is a rather blunt instrument, in most situations.

    Have you tried getting “direct payments” from your local authority?

    This could address your care needs.

    You need to engage with a local, welfare rights organisation, like CAB.

    Hope this helps.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,525 Disability Gamechanger
  • jarvo40
    jarvo40 Member Posts: 32 Connected
    Carers  allowance..has anybody got an opinion on why the window is so small to have a carer? Between 16-65 not in full time education can’t bring home more than £120pw or a pension over the said amount must care for 35hrs a week that’s less than £2ph.. the way I see it you need somebody who is married and there partner does not need them to work because who else fits the criteria..I only ask coz recently married (3 weeks ago) to non eu woman lost my sdp and my wife can’t care for me for 2 years..i only ask because I’m a big guy and there are certain tasks that are impossible for her to frustrating lol...?


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.