Esa and non dependent — Scope | Disability forum

Esa and non dependent

gmd64 Member Posts: 1 Listener
Can anyone  please tell me,  will my Esa (income based) be affected if I have a non dependent living with me?
I may move to a more suitable property as my current accommodation is unsuitable for someone as ill & disabled as myself. My carer could live with me (separate room). Would my ESA be affected? I also get PIP,(high mobility standard care) just waiting for an in home reassessment  as I've now got cancer on top of arthritis & spinal trauma requiring surgery. (So many issues, I had to tell them about  worsening symptoms despite not wanting the stress of reassessment.). I am in a non UC area and will be moving within same Local Authority Area. Please advise.  Thank you. 


  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,781 Pioneering
    Welcome to the community @gmd64 thank you for sharing this with us. How are you doing today? 
    I do not think this will affect you ESA, i'll tag @poppy123456 who may be able to answer your question.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,737 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2019

    Do you claim the severe disability premium in with your ESA? If you do then you will lose the SDP if the person you're planning on living with doesn't claim a qualifying benefit such as DLA mid/high rate care or PIP daily living.

    Also just so you know, all areas are now a full UC area and have been since middle of December 2018 but because you're moving to the same local council then you will be able to remain on your existing benefits.

    Your housing benefit won't be affected because you're claiming PIP and non dependent deductions don't apply to you for housing benefit purposes.

    You would also lose the single person discount for your council tax reduction. My advice is to get some face to face advice from your local CAB.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,595 Scope online community team
    edited May 2019
    Hello @gmd64 and welcome to the community. 

    Other than the SDP (which Poppy has covered above) your ESA won't be affected as it will be classed as two separate claims rather than a couple. 
    Just a word of warning, some people are being incorrectly advised that moving home is a trigger for changing to Universal Credit instead of legacy benefits (housing benefit etc), it isn't and as Poppy mentioned, you can continue on these. 
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.