Pip — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip

Options
mrh2
mrh2 Community member Posts: 13 Connected
Hi everyone
I need some help regarding PIP MR & Tribunal.

My local CAB is not option hence i m reaching out for some help.

Thanks 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,105 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @mrh2 - Welcome to the community, & thank you for joining. You might be able to find some local advice by putting your postcode into this link: https://advicelocal.uk/
    A good understanding of the PIP descriptors, etc. may also help if you haven't come across this link previously: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria
    You have one month from the date of your decision letter as far as the MR goes. Do this in writing, explaining where you feel points should be awarded for any descriptors that apply. Give a couple of examples for each saying how your disability was affected attempting such tasks at the time of your assessment.
    Send in any new evidence about your daily functionality, rather than evidence which is 'just' about any diagnosis.
    As you probably know, most MRs remain the same, & then you may wish to proceed to a tribunal. Unfortunately the waiting lists are about a year long.
    I hope some of this helps, but please let us know if you have any questions, or if we can support you in any other way. :)

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the community, I hope you have found some help in the links provided. Have a good look through and if you have any specific questions then let us know
  • mrh2
    edited February 2020
    Options
    tomm said:
    Welfare rights? (local council) not an option available to you? Other than that submitting evidence that helps back up how your health conditions affect you , as well as being clear and consistent in the way you describe this keep things as simple as possible
    Welfare right does not answer phones.
    They dont return the calls despite leaving messages.
    Council does not have anybody to help unfortunately
  • mrh2
    Options
    Welfare right does not answer phones.
    They dont return the calls despite leaving messages.
    Council does not have anybody to help unfortunately
  • mrh2
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    Hi @mrh2 - Welcome to the community, & thank you for joining. You might be able to find some local advice by putting your postcode into this link: https://advicelocal.uk/
    A good understanding of the PIP descriptors, etc. may also help if you haven't come across this link previously: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria
    You have one month from the date of your decision letter as far as the MR goes. Do this in writing, explaining where you feel points should be awarded for any descriptors that apply. Give a couple of examples for each saying how your disability was affected attempting such tasks at the time of your assessment.
    Send in any new evidence about your daily functionality, rather than evidence which is 'just' about any diagnosis.
    As you probably know, most MRs remain the same, & then you may wish to proceed to a tribunal. Unfortunately the waiting lists are about a year long.
    I hope some of this helps, but please let us know if you have any questions, or if we can support you in any other way. :)

That's a lot for me to go through or read as i suffer from anxiety and depression. Hence needed a practical help .?
  • anisty
    anisty Community member Posts: 354 Pioneering
    Options
    It is really daunting @mrh2 but understanding the descriptors is key to success i believe.

I didnt have a clue when i started the application process. I applied in my role as appointee for my son and, even though i do not suffer any difficulties myself, i must admit to misunderstanding a few of the questions myself.

Have a look at those questions where you feel you should have picked up more points.

Try not to undermine or criticise the report. Instead, provide an example of what happened last time you tried to do the activity, stating exactly what stops you being able to complete the activity reliably as often as you need to.  Make sure you are breaking down each task and then outlining the areas you struggle with and why.

Just as a example, with the prepare a meal one think of the steps involved in that

- getting the componants of the meal together (i believe this task refers to the ability to complete one cooked meal per day comprising 3 fresh ingredients)

- chopping and peeling vegetables and meat.

- getting your veg into pans. Your meat maybe in an oven.

Timing it so all the things are ready at the same time, dishing it up.

This isnt a comprehensive run down, it is just to show how you can break each activity down and really think about exactly what are the parts of each activity you cant do and WHY. And if you can then link that to your medical evidence to back up the why, that should be good.

My son cant make a meal for many reasons. One of the first thing that stops him even getting started is a problem with initiation of task. So i was able to state that and then provide a report that details his inability to initiate actions.

Hope that is some help to give an idea of how to get the ball rolling.
  • mrh2
    Options
    anisty said:
    It is really daunting @mrh2 but understanding the descriptors is key to success i believe.

I didnt have a clue when i started the application process. I applied in my role as appointee for my son and, even though i do not suffer any difficulties myself, i must admit to misunderstanding a few of the questions myself.

Have a look at those questions where you feel you should have picked up more points.

Try not to undermine or criticise the report. Instead, provide an example of what happened last time you tried to do the activity, stating exactly what stops you being able to complete the activity reliably as often as you need to.  Make sure you are breaking down each task and then outlining the areas you struggle with and why.

Just as a example, with the prepare a meal one think of the steps involved in that

- getting the componants of the meal together (i believe this task refers to the ability to complete one cooked meal per day comprising 3 fresh ingredients)

- chopping and peeling vegetables and meat.

- getting your veg into pans. Your meat maybe in an oven.

Timing it so all the things are ready at the same time, dishing it up.

This isnt a comprehensive run down, it is just to show how you can break each activity down and really think about exactly what are the parts of each activity you cant do and WHY. And if you can then link that to your medical evidence to back up the why, that should be good.

My son cant make a meal for many reasons. One of the first thing that stops him even getting started is a problem with initiation of task. So i was able to state that and then provide a report that details his inability to initiate actions.

Hope that is some help to give an idea of how to get the ball rolling.
    Thank you for the reply.

One aspect they used was the walking distance through a corridor. They said it was approximately 52 m.Hence i can walk more than 50 m despite mentioning that i was in pain afterwords in thier report.

Another was, i was able to walk for 40 sec or 50 sec hence i m able to go beyond 50m !! 
  • anisty
    anisty Community member Posts: 354 Pioneering
    Options
    Is it just the mobility part you are claiming for?  Hopefully someone will be able to advise you on this specifically.

My son has no physical disability at all. His is all cognitive so im not best placed to advise. Im new to the forum too so dont even know anyone well enough to tag.

Hopefully someone with experience of this will see this and be able to help. All the best.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.