Plants and flowers you like/you’d like - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Plants and flowers you like/you’d like

13»

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    Oooh I was just coming onto this thread to show some lavender love and I see it's already here!

Lavender is so easy to maintain, even I have struggled to kill it, and when it grows you can snip some off and bring it in the house to help you get to sleep :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    This week is National Allotment Week! I've put together some information about accessible gardening which you might be interested in. :)
    Scope

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Even ivy can look very attractive, especially on a stone or brick wall

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,575 Disability Gamechanger
    66Mustang said:
    Also we have a load of plants growing under the bird feeding table where the birds have knocked the seeds off the table and they have grown!!
    My Grandad cultivated a plant with pointed leaves and a certain scent that initially had grown rogue from bird seed...  Turns out bird seed often contains hemp!  :D

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Campaigns Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    This really made me laugh @OverlyAnxious :D
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • RAwarrior
    RAwarrior Community member Posts: 430 Pioneering
    Hello everyone?
    I really like Rose Campion as although they can take a while to grow once they are established they are hardy flowers which come back every year. They spread and I don’t find it difficult to collect the seeds so that I can plant them in other parts of the garden. They are really beautiful flowers.?
  • amsofly
    amsofly Community member Posts: 29 Courageous
    Hello @leeCal, those flowers looks so cute. Keep the pics coming.
  • leeCal
    These are succulents but I don’t remember their name unfortunately 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• RAwarrior
    @leeCal
    What beautiful photos you have posted?

I don’t know the name of the succulent you have posted the photo of and I have tried to identify by looking online. There are lots of plant identification apps so perhaps you could take a photo of the plant and maybe identify it that way?
    I have an app so if I see a plant or flower that looks nice when I am out I take a photo of it so I know what to buy if I think it looks nice. Or even just to know the name of a flower I come across.
    Please let us know if you identify it as it’s a really beautiful plant?
  • leeCal
    edited August 2020
    The name begins with a P @RAwarrior and ends with an S that’s all I can remember
    ill keep looking ?

got it, portulaca pilosa aka kiss me quick!

― Dalai Lama XIV

• RAwarrior
    @leeCal
    I have just found a website called World of Succulents.com however, there are lots of plants listed so it might take a while to identify it. I will also have a look next time I go to the garden centre to see if they have the plant.?
  • leeCal
    edited August 2020
    @RAwarrior portulaca Pilosa aka kiss me quick!

Thanks for your help though ?

― Dalai Lama XIV

• RAwarrior
    @leeCal
    Could it be a Portulaca Pilosa? I have found a plant on the site by narrowing down the search but I am not sure.
  • RAwarrior
    @leeCal
    I think our posts have overlapped as I keep getting logged out and having to sign into this website so sometimes someone has replied to my post but I haven’t realised because I keep having to sign in?

You’re very welcome and I am glad I managed to identify the plant correctly. I thought it might be based on the above website as the flowers and leaves looked the same. I have bookmarked the website now as there’s lots of interesting information on there?
  • RAwarrior
    @leeCal
    This conversation has also helped me to focus on things I enjoy such as gardening. I have also posted some information under @Chloe_Scope’s thread regarding allotments as I came across some really great allotment and gardening channels on YouTube. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 15,988 Disability Gamechanger
    @leeCal & @RAwarrior - it's great you indentified this succulent; it has to have the prettiest flowers I've seen. I normally grow perennials, with just a few annuals. After trying different heathers, & then ferns, which I have grown to love, I also tried a few succulents in the past couple of years. I would definitely like to try this Portulaca pilosa.
    @RAwarrior - I keep meaning to thank you for the YouTube gardening channels you've mentioned; something else I will look into. I find there's nothing much on the TV, so would rather watch something like this to help me as an amateur gardener. I grow all sorts of veg (& herbs) in raised beds & containers, & tomatoes (& a watermelon!) in my small greenhouse, but like having flowers as well. After reading, just being out in the garden is my main distraction technique.
    Thank you both. :)
  • RAwarrior
    @chiarieds
    You’re very welcome ?
    I have found the YouTube gardening channels both relaxing to watch and very helpful. I have managed to get a lot of ideas from some of the allotment and Permaculture channels. I mentioned some of ideas I obtained from these channels under @Chloe_Scope’s Allotment post. Once you start looking on YouTube you will find there are so many of these channels to choose from. I have found lots of ideas especially about planting stuff that lasts or tips about how to take cuttings. I hope you find something useful. I did two Babuska Pots which I saw on Good Life Permaculture. What a great idea for growing cuttings?.
     I really find gardening relaxing as I switch off from everything else. It’s really rewarding to see the plants grow.
    Many thanks for your lovely comments ??
  • leeCal
    You are very welcome @chiarieds ?

― Dalai Lama XIV

Brightness