Want to do a day less at work so my weekend isn't taken up caring for my mum. Will this stop my UC? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Want to do a day less at work so my weekend isn't taken up caring for my mum. Will this stop my UC?

Options
Nay99
Nay99 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited April 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi folks.
Does anyone have any idea on this? -

I have a zero hours job and am receiving Universal Credit and Carers Credit. (20 hours - unlike Carers Allowance)

I wanted to do a day less at work so all my weekend time isn't taken up caring for my mum.

Would/Is it likely they would stop my Universal Credit if I did this?

I've tried asking them a few times and can't get a clear answer.

Thanks

Nate

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Hi @Nay99 and a warm welcome to our community,

Are you in receipt of the carer element of UC?  If you are, you can lower your hours (or even stop working entirely) without being sanctioned by UC as you will have no work commitments.  This means that your UC wouldn't stop if you want to work a day less.

I hope this helps and please note - this advice only applies if you are in receipt of the UC carer element :)  Let us know how you get on and good luck!
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.