Has anyone applied for PIP again with a change of circumstances? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Has anyone applied for PIP again with a change of circumstances?

Options
Niyra
Niyra Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited June 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have secondary progressive ms  and i a few years ago was given  standard rate carer's  now my MS is progressing more i need more help. 
I called the  DWP regarding  this  and they said all my claim would have to  be assessed again and there could be chances  i could lose it all or stay the same or it could increase. 
I felt like the first  time i applied for it and that  was the worst time of my life with DWP .
Even then the asser  wrote down everything wrong, i should have challenged  it then  but was to scared, and i feel the same now.
So has anyone  done this  applied  again with  change  of circumstances?

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Niyra

Welcome to the community, how are you? 

Many people submit a change in circumstances, but yes the worry of losing what you currently have is a valid concern and one worth considering. However, if you believe your condition has worsened to a point where you deserve a higher award then it may be worth going for.

It's important to consider how you would describe how your condition impacts you now when considering the descriptors, can you do the activities described reliably? Do you need help to do them? Do you use any sort of aid to carry them out?

If you feel unsure, you might want to seek support with the process from somewhere like CAB or through Advice Local.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Niyra
    Options
    Hi Ross,

Thank you for replying to my post.
    My symptoms have worsened in the past 4 months i would say.
    The Neurologist has seen me and said its just the progression and i have his written report as well.
    I am having  a MRI next month i think  I'm  going to hold on and see what the MRI report says.
    I wish now in hindsight  i had challenged them then when they  got it wrong  the first time.. 
    Yes i need help with lots of daily  life situations,  cooking cleaning  my husband does most of all that  well basically he does most of everything. 
    I looked at the questionnaire again  and  did  a up to date assessment of my daily life and it was more worse now than before.
    Well lets see what happens with the  MRI that should  be more back up for my  case fingers crossed.
  • Niyra
    Options
    Hi Mike,
    I have looked at the scoring points and on the  medication  part i need help,
    On the bathroom part i need more help and cooking  i can't  cook as i struggle  with things and drop stuff i told them all this before  and they  put down i was able to make a meal which was totally untrue. 
    My husband is my carer and does everything  bless  him.
    I know what your saying i have  looked through  it and my points if they look at it correctly  i will definitely  get the 12 points..
    Before  i got 9.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.