My autistic son is struggling in mainstream school while waiting for SEN place. What are my rights? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My autistic son is struggling in mainstream school while waiting for SEN place. What are my rights?

Options
maddie345
maddie345 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited June 2021 in Education
Hi my autistic son has been in mainstream secondary for two years and really struggling, I’m waiting on a place in a special needs school but he completely refusing to go back to the mainstream school, does anyone no my rights on this while I’m waiting on his special needs school 
Tagged:

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @maddie345 :) Thanks for joining.

Just to let you know, I've moved your post into our education category, and renamed it so that other members can identify it more easily. 

Am I right in thinking that you son doesn't have an EHCP? 

Have you spoken to his current school about how much he's struggling at the moment, and seen whether they have any thoughts on how they could support him better while he waits for a place?

When you ask about your rights in this situation, do you mean your rights regarding him currently refusing to attend school?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • maddie345
    maddie345 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Yes he has an echp and his current school are not really helping and just saying he needs to be in an special needs school but by law he has to be in school until he gets his place but now he knows he won’t be staying there so he won’t go back in, because he has autism yeh what do I do in this situation because I can’t get him to go back and is definitely not the right environment for him
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,011 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @maddie345. My first thought was around home education but reading Ipsea it looks like that can impact his future place at a SEN School. It may be worth you getting in touch with Ipsea to discuss your options as they're experts in this field. 
    Would a reduced timetable at his current school be an option? Have you spoken to the SENCO at his current school about any other ways they could help?
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness