DWP rules and online gambling — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DWP rules and online gambling

Options
bigbadbren666
bigbadbren666 Community member Posts: 2 Connected
I only get £100 a week (of which half disappears on food and cleaning products) leaving me only £50 a week for a social life, when pub drinks are £4 each and pool is 50p-£1 a game.

I started gambling any leftover money on 20p online slot games and if I won big, I'd get a months worth of shopping over with to give me an easier month and if not, I'd stay home bored all week.
Can/would the DWP stop my benefits for only making occasional weekly wins (which aren't guaranteed) and when the wins don't go over the supposed £6K-20K savings limits i have read about?

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,663 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @bigbadbren666 good evening and welcome to scope, as I understand it as winnings aren't taxable they shouldn't affect benefits.

However if you winning take you savings over capital limits then they would need to be declared and means tested benefits would be lost.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• bigbadbren666
    bigbadbren666 Community member Posts: 2 Connected
    Options
    Depends entirely on the benefits you’re currently in receipt of and there are very different rules for UC compared to the other means-tested benefits which will impact this.
    i get Income-related ESA/DLA and incapacity benefit.

1 of the benefits pays all my household bills, leaving me with the other of £100 a week, which has to cover food as well, which only leaves me with £50 a week spare, when all of my favourite hobbies/modest social life would need over £100-150 a week more to avoid being stuck at home all day!

I only want to have enough for 2/3 pints a day and a few hours worth of pool matches, compared to my loutish mates, who'd spend £200 on a single night out

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Wish I could afford to go out or gamble lol 

Brightness