Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Walking aid anxiety

Options
Luchia
Luchia Community member Posts: 309 Pioneering
Hey everyone

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but hoping someone might have some advice.
I was diagnosed with Lumbar Spinal Stenosis in 2018 and since then it has been progressively getting worse(degenerative condition).

It's very rare that I leave my home and will only go out for appointments as I am at a high risk of falls.
I now rely on a walking stick to get around my home and was advised to use it all the time but I have a huge anxiety issue using it in public.
I know been disabled is nothing to be ashamed of but I'm only in my 30s and I fear using the walking stick in public.....
I'm not sure why I fear it so much I guess I'm scared of what people will say or think about me which I know sounds silly but it causes me a huge amount of anxiety.
I hate that I have to using a walking stick at my age.... I should be running about and living a normal active life but my body just won't allow that 😞 

I've been warned that I'm at a high risk of falls and I know I really need the walking stick so really hoping someone who has been through this can give me some advice or guidance.

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Hi @Luchia thanks for reaching out today. You are not alone in feeling this way, a lot of people feel apprehensive when thinking about using a mobility aid for the first time. I think this is especially true because of the big misconception that these aids are only ever for 'older or less able people'. 

It's a little different from my own perspective as I've been a wheelchair user since my teens, so in many ways I've gotten used to strangers perceptions. I started using a stick when on my feet about 4 or 5 years ago as my mobility is starting to decline.

I think because I'm quite used to my disability, being seen with a stick didn't really bother me, as I needed it to get around. If anything it helped me feel more independent and more able to get out and about. I still enjoy life the same amount, whether I'm on my feet or in my chair, or anywhere in between!

I hate that I have to using a walking stick at my age.... I should be running about and living a normal active life but my body just won't allow that 😞 
    It can be so frustrating when our bodies don't always do what we want them to, but it's okay that our bodies won't allow us certain things because, that's just how we are :) 

Maybe it could be helpful to think about societal expectations. How much pressure do we all put on ourselves in comparison to other people our age? It's interesting you mention a "normal active life" but what is normal, really? Is 'normal' in your 30s also having 2 kids, a house, a car etc. - or is that a bit unrealistic? 

In terms of advice for getting used to your stick I would say, take it at your own pace, start in the house, or visiting friends and family, on quick trips to the shops, and gradually build things up. Some days might be easier than others, but the more you use it, hopefully the easier it will feel. 

I do know that there are makers of sticks/canes out there who design for disabled people of all ages, which are really jazzy and fun, so it might help to look around if different styles would help you feel more comfortable :) 

Very often people are in their own little worlds, and couldn't give a hoot about the people around them. It can be hard not to feel like all eyes are on you, and I know you've mentioned struggles with anxiety, so if you can, feel free to look into what support could help you manage this.  

If I've missed anything, or if I can help further, let me know. And keep us updated with how you get on, hopefully other members can share their thoughts too.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I use a stick too and have used it for more than 10 years. I was in my 30's too when i first used it. I felt like you and was embarrassed and didn't want to use it. My children were smaller back then and i felt so anxious being out in public with it.
    It helped me walk so decided to tell myself to be strong and if it helps i should continue to use it. I did exactly that and people didn't really notice, or if they did it wasn't obvious to me. Now it's part of me.
    In time you'll be exactly the same and you may even find that people won't even notice. Now i often see younger people using a stick.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

I don't think many people will judge you or even look at you 

People don't know why your using it . It could just be for a temp injury for all they know.

I'm a wheelchair user so get your reaction 
  • Shoolby
    Shoolby Community member Posts: 12 Connected
    Options
    By sharing your feelings of anxiety in relation to using a walking stick, is a positive step forward. You may feel a connection with other community members and gain strength from their posts, so feel free to express more.
    Can I ask, how you feel about using the walking aid in your home?
    Thanks
    S
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.