Real term benefits cuts? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Real term benefits cuts?

Options

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Girl_No1 said:.
    A major factor in our ability to manage in the 50s and 60s is we were children, therefore did not have the responsibility to ensure that we 'managed'. 
    Raceguy was not a child in the 50s, he was (based on his posts) a young adult.
    Cartini said:
    What I don`t understand is why people are bickering about "how it used to be" compared to "how it could be". 
    Absolutely.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Girl_No1
    Girl_No1 Community member Posts: 152 Pioneering
    Options
    calcotti said:
    A major factor in our ability to manage in the 50s and 60s is we were children, therefore did not have the responsibility to ensure that we 'managed'. 
    Cartini said:
    What I don`t understand is why people are bickering about "how it used to be" compared to "how it could be". 
    Absolutely.
    I did not realise racyguy was a young adult in the 50s. 

That said, even if I had, I'd consider him an outlier on this forum and in society in general. 

I would still hold the view that the collective 'we' did not manage.   :(

• Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    Girl_No1 said:
    calcotti said:
    Cartini said:
    Absolutely.

That said, even if I had, I'd consider him an outlier on this forum and in society in general

That`s quite a sweeping statement.  It`s almost akin to saying "you aren`t allowed to have an opinion".
    You can`t speak for the "collective",  you can only speak for your circumstances and possibly very close friends / family.  That doesn`t constitute "we" in the wider form.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,774 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There is one huge difference between "now" and "back in the day" that being that extended families lived close to each other often on the same street, and looked after each other, sadly we have lost that, and with it the support network that existed. Today families are often spread out living miles apart and hence unable to offer that same level of support.

We seem to have stepped back to a time when the state wants to divorce itself from looking after people and dump them on charity once again, food banks being an excellent example. Some might say that "self help" is good for us I would say in 2022 it's immoral.

One other point the Tories seem to want to re-invent themselves the way they are talking they haven't been in power for twelve years but have just been washed up on the shores of Downing Street, never forget that they are totally responsible for the mess we are in, Osborne in 2010 promised to reduce the deficit to zero by 2015 he failed miserably and we now have a deficit that is totally beyond their control and debt that is eye-watering, never forget that.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cartini
    Options
    woodbine said:
    There is one huge difference between "now" and "back in the day" that being that extended families lived close to each other often on the same street, and looked after each other, sadly we have lost that, and with it the support network that existed. Today families are often spread out living miles apart and hence unable to offer that same level of support.

We seem to have stepped back to a time when the state wants to divorce itself from looking after people and dump them on charity once again, food banks being an excellent example. Some might say that "self help" is good for us I would say in 2022 it's immoral.

One other point the Tories seem to want to re-invent themselves the way they are talking they haven't been in power for twelve years but have just been washed up on the shores of Downing Street, never forget that they are totally responsible for the mess we are in, Osborne in 2010 promised to reduce the deficit to zero by 2015 he failed miserably and we now have a deficit that is totally beyond their control and debt that is eye-watering, never forget that.
    The mess we are in, and the austerity that we have suffered, is because of the last Liebour government;  Truss has just added her pinch.  Thatcher took years to trash society, May took 2 years to almost trash democracy and now Truss, in less than a month, is having a good go at further trashing the economy.

• Girl_No1
    Options
    Cartini said:
    Girl_No1 said:
    calcotti said:
    Cartini said:
    Absolutely.

That said, even if I had, I'd consider him an outlier on this forum and in society in general

That`s quite a sweeping statement.  It`s almost akin to saying "you aren`t allowed to have an opinion".
    You can`t speak for the "collective",  you can only speak for your circumstances and possibly very close friends / family.  That doesn`t constitute "we" in the wider form.
    Not really to both points.  

Of course everyone's entitled to an opinion, but facts are not negotiable despite the current political landscape appearing to make it so. 

Only those born in the early 40s or earlier would be adults with responsibility in the (late) 50s which means they now 80+yo.  Despite the aging demographic of the UK, octogenarians are not the majority.

In terms of the collective, I can confidently say the majority of people in the UK were born after the 40s therefore the collective did not manage poverty in the 50s/60s which was what the OP stated.
  • Cartini
    Options
    Girl_No1 said:
    Cartini said:
    Girl_No1 said:
    calcotti said:
    Cartini said:
    Absolutely.

Of course everyone's entitled to an opinion, but facts are not negotiable despite the current political landscape appearing to make it so. 

Only those born in the early 40s or earlier would be adults with responsibility in the (late) 50s which means they now 80+yo.  Despite the aging demographic of the UK, octogenarians are not the majority.

In terms of the collective, I can confidently say the majority of people in the UK were born after the 40s therefore the collective did not manage poverty in the 50s/60s which was what the OP stated.
    If you took an interest, you would find that the OP is in his 80`s therefore his comment carries weight.

• calcotti
    Options
    Cartini said: The mess we are in, and the austerity that we have suffered, is because of the last Liebour government; 
    The last Labour government was not responsible for the sub prime mortgage crisis in America which triggered the 2008 financial crease. They did however take responsible action in response to the crisis but Cameron/Osborne choked off the recovery that had been begun when they took over and the ‘austerity’ they introduced seriously weakened our public services.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,887 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Cartini said:
    Girl_No1 said:
    Cartini said:
    Girl_No1 said:
    calcotti said:
    Cartini said:
    Absolutely.

If you took an interest, you would find that the OP is in his 80`s therefore his comment carries weight.

I'm confused here, the OP is woodbine, who is of working age because he still claims ESA.
    If you are referring to racyguy, he is not in his 80's. Going by many of his other threads he is under the age of 80 but over 70.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Girl_No1
    Options
    @Cartini

Obviously none of us know the details of each and every poster on this forum - gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation etc.   Perhaps we should complete a form that is readily viewable by all in order to assess the weight to be afforded to each and every comment made by each and every poster?

Anyway, you're tying yourself in knots.  His comment carries weight only for his peers i.e. a tiny majority of the population.  Meanwhile, the majority (a collective in its own right) are those for whom I spoke (i.e. we did not manage in the 50/60s because we were children) to counter his assertion "we managed" without qualification he was referring to the 80+ demograph only.

Hope that clarifies things for you?  
  • Cartini
    Options
    Cartini said:
    Girl_No1 said:
    Cartini said:
    Girl_No1 said:
    calcotti said:
    Cartini said:
    Absolutely.

I'm confused here, the OP is woodbine, who is of working age because he still claims ESA.
    If you are referring to racyguy, he is not in his 80's. Going by many of his other threads he is under the age of 80 but over 70.

HI Poppy,
    I was indeed meaning racyguy.  Thank you for clarifying that.
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW Community member Posts: 355 Pioneering
    Options
    @Girl_No1
    I'm 68 years old.

I certainly had to manage as a child and young adult in the 60's, 70's and 80's and beyond.

I remember galloping inflation and my mortgage interest rising to 16%.

We managed by learning from older generations.  And whilst no we shouldn't have to in this day and age, we will have to.

So instead of dismissing the knowledge and advice of older generations maybe the younger generations could try listening and learning. 

There are many helpful threads detailing tips to help with the cost of living. 

• Girl_No1
    Options
    @ShirleyW I am no spring chicken myself, for context.  My point was in response to the statement we managed in the 50/60s.  

My point was only those over 80 would have managed (as adults) in the (very late) 50s and throughout the 60s.

There was no knowledge to dismiss in OPs post.  It was a sweeping statement that 'we managed' in the 50s/60s.  A statement I consider misleading, in terms of the entire population.

Perhaps I had a sheltered childhood?  Because I was unaware of any 'need to manage' until I was an adult in the 80s, and I genuinely believe what is likely to be heading our way now is far, far worse than the 80s across the board - not minimising those who lost their homes due to spiralling interest rates etc. - but in my experience poverty was not endemic as it was in the 50s/60s.

Also, as another poster stated, families and neighbours (so far as I'm aware) worked together in the 50s/60s to help each other through the worst times.  Families are dispersed across the world now, and neighbours barely even know each other's names far less each other's financial circumstances.

• racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    Options
    ShirleyW said:
    @Girl_No1
    I'm 68 years old.

I certainly had to manage as a child and young adult in the 60's, 70's and 80's and beyond.

We managed by learning from older generations.  And whilst no we shouldn't have to in this day and age, we will have to.

So instead of dismissing the knowledge and advice of older generations maybe the younger generations could try listening and learning. 

I'm just shy of 80 and remember well the abject poverty of the 50's and 60's.
    In 1963 I was 20 living with my parents in a two up two down 1880's mid terrace in a town in Lancashire that had the reputation of being one of the top 5 places in UK with mill chimneys on every corner.
    Toilet was in the back yard and with no hot water tap anywhere in the house.
    It wasn't until 1973 when my wife and bought our first house that I had the experience of having a real bath and hot water on tap.
    What I can say is that with how I lived in sub-standard housing until I was 30 certainly gave me the grounding never to complain about high mortgage interest and inflation.

• poppy123456
    edited October 2022
    Options
    racyguy said:
    ShirleyW said:
    @Girl_No1
    I'm 68 years old.

In 1963 I was 20

Aren't you claiming PIP and moved from DLA or have i got that wrong? I'm confused because if you were born before 9th April 1948 then you shouldn't have been able to claim PIP.
    Edit to add, i just seen on another thread that your PIP started in 2019 so you must have been 76/77 at the point, i don't even know how this is possible. Totally confused.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • racyguy
    racyguy Community member Posts: 560 Pioneering
    Options
    racyguy said:
    ShirleyW said:
    @Girl_No1
    I'm 68 years old.

In 1963 I was 20

Aren't you claiming PIP and moved from DLA or have i got that wrong? I'm confused because if you were born before 9th April 1948 then you shouldn't have been able to claim PIP.
    Edit to add, i just seen on another thread that your PIP started in 2019 so you must have been 76/77 at the point, i don't even know how this is possible. Totally confused.

You have me confused too. I have had to sit down and work it out!
    Born 1942
    First claimed DLA in 1995/6
    Lost it in 2004
    Reclaimed it again in 2006 - age 64
    I was then told to claim PIP in 2019.

• poppy123456
    Options
    I have no idea how that was even possible.
  • calcotti
    Options
    I have no idea how that was even possible.
    Agree. It shouldn’t have happened.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,698 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Cartini said:
    The mess we are in, and the austerity that we have suffered, is because of the last Liebour government;  Truss has just added her pinch.  Thatcher took years to trash society, May took 2 years to almost trash democracy and now Truss, in less than a month, is having a good go at further trashing the economy.

Can I ask what makes you think that? I don't understand because everything I read says differently and it's a line the tories trot out regularly but never give reasons or explanations. Is there something I could search that would help me understand better? 
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,698 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Girl_No1 said:

Perhaps I had a sheltered childhood?  Because I was unaware of any 'need to manage' until I was an adult in the 80s, and I genuinely believe what is likely to be heading our way now is far, far worse than the 80s across the board - not minimising those who lost their homes due to spiralling interest rates etc. - but in my experience poverty was not endemic as it was in the 50s/60s.

Also, as another poster stated, families and neighbours (so far as I'm aware) worked together in the 50s/60s to help each other through the worst times.  Families are dispersed across the world now, and neighbours barely even know each other's names far less each other's financial circumstances.

I think this is a problem many younger generations face, me included. We were definitely sheltered! And many of us (not all obviously) but many, myself included, didn't learn the skills the older generation had with cooking, sewing, DIY and making do. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.