mental health — Scope | Disability forum

mental health

hi  my name is mary and Im on the low component for back problems I was wondering why they don't help anyone with mental health problems now I used to get it a few yrs ago 


  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,674 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @soulrasta welcome to the community. So have your benefits changed?  Did you get an explanation of the changes?
    Senior online community officer
  • soulrasta
    soulrasta Member Posts: 2
    No they didn't tell me why it stopped  I've had mental health problems all my life I'm 60 in January because of everything that goes on I don't go out house nearly 10 yrs I sit in my bedroom my doctors don't care all I get from them is repeat prescriptions they came out a few months ago and told me that they would get the mental health team involved I'm still waiting I think sometimes what is the point as far as pain in my back it's consent it restricts me doing a lot of things 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Member Posts: 2,590 Disability Gamechanger
    You could contact your local Mind who might be able to help you claim benefits for mental health problems. They helped a friend of mine in this way.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,622 Pioneering
    Hi Mary, is it PIP or DLA you are on?

    Both PIP and DLA can be awarded for mental health problems. If you query a DLA award though, you're likely to be asked to claim PIP instead.

    PIP is a points-based benefit. It does look at activities which are affected by mental health. You might be entitled to more money than you're getting now. Mind is a useful charity to contact as Matilda says, but as you have both physical and mental conditions you might want to get advice from an organisation who can look at both, to make sure you get the benefit you're entitled to. The CAB might be able to do a home visit for you.

    Another benefit you may or may not already be getting is ESA (employment and support allowance). That has a work-related activity component and a support component. If you are unable to go out at all maybe you should be getting the higher component. However, ESA also depends on your national insurance contributions and/or other income that you or any partner has.

    Do feel free to tell us a bit more about the benefits you are on now and your living situation and we can give a bit of guidance on whether you should be getting more.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.