What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Financial Advice?

bigsis3bigsis3 Member Posts: 1
My brother (40) had a stroke two years ago and has recovered well, he has been living with my parents throughout his recovery.  He is still not independent enough to live alone, but thankfully he had work insurance and had some financial help through the transition to his new life.  He has some money left over, although not enough to buy a house, which we would love to use towards some kind of shared ownership - to give him the security of a home when he is older, we don't understand how this would work with benefits in the long term.... Where do we start with organising for his future and what happens if he can't ever work again?  Please can someone let me know of any organisations that might be able to help with financial advice in this area?  


  • Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,729 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2016
    Hi @bigsis3

    Welcome to the community! 

    You can take a look at the Money and Benefits information that might help, we also have a benefits calculator too.

    There is a list of people who can offer housing advice here and a downloadable guide to accessible housing here.

    You can also call the Scope helpline if this information isn't helpful on 0808 800 3333

    Best of luck

    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi bigsis3

    We can advise on benefits but we are not qualified to advise on investments and financial planning.

    Some benefits have capital limits and some don't. For example, your brother might be able to claim personal independence payment (PIP) no matter how much money he has. For more information about PIP have a look at the Scope pages here. Employment and support allowance (ESA) can be paid based on national insurance contributions during periods when you can't work, again no matter how much money you have. If your brother has not already claimed this it may still be possible - you can find out more about ESA on the scope pages here. If your brother can't ever work again it is likely he will be able to get PIP and ESA indefinitely.

    Finally, your parents might like to get advice because there may be carer's benefits that they could claim.

    I hope this helps.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.