Friends sharing a house on benefits. — Scope | Disability forum

Friends sharing a house on benefits.

kathleenhare Member Posts: 1 Listener
My best friend and I would like to share a house together, My friend is male and I have reason to believe this is classed as living together. It would be a joint tenancy and all the bills will be split down the middle. My friend and I are on benefits for mental health, could somebody please give me some advice. Thankyou


  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,622 Pioneering
    Hello Kathleenhare

    As friends benefits should not be affected if you live together. 

    Your benefits are only affected if you are in a relationship, that is living together as a married couple or cohabiting.  The DWP will look for certain 'signposts' to assess if 2 people are living together, for example if one partner supports the other financially, if you have children, if you state in social media that you are a couple.   

    I hope this helps

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.