If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

10% increase

Options
woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,801 Disability Gamechanger
All benefits and state pensions will increase by 10%, most of the increases will be effective from next Monday, April 10th.
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• JustPete
    JustPete Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 303 Pioneering
    Options
    woodbine said:
    All benefits and state pensions will increase by 10%, most of the increases will be effective from next Monday, April 10th.
    really? where did you find out? Good news!
    I am a Scope Community Volunteer Adviser with knowledge of "life"!  Lived experience including employing personal assistants, being gay, sport & leisure inclusion & participation, mental health issues.  

What is the bravest thing you've ever said? asked the boy. 'Help,' said the horse.  'Asking for help isn't giving up,' said the horse. 'It's refusing to give up.”
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,122 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    JustPete said:
    woodbine said:

It was announced last year. You can see all the new benefits rates here. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/benefit-and-pension-rates-2023-to-2024/benefit-and-pension-rates-2023-to-2024 As benefits are paid in arrears it will be the start of next month before anyone will see the full increase in their benefits.
    For those claiming Universal Credit the increases will start from mid May but some won't see the increase until their June payment.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JustPete
    JustPete Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 303 Pioneering
    Options
    THANKS!
    I am a Scope Community Volunteer Adviser with knowledge of "life"!  Lived experience including employing personal assistants, being gay, sport & leisure inclusion & participation, mental health issues.  

What is the bravest thing you've ever said? asked the boy. 'Help,' said the horse.  'Asking for help isn't giving up,' said the horse. 'It's refusing to give up.”
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,129 Scope online community team
    Options
    Thanks for sharing @woodbine and thanks @poppy123456 for clarifying further with the dates. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • woodbine
    Options
    JustPete said:
    woodbine said:
    It was announced in the budget

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Moderator note: Post corrected later in response to poppy.
    woodbine said:
    JustPete said:
    woodbine said:
    The 10.1% increase was announced last November.
    poppy123456 said: For those claiming Universal Credit the increases will start from mid May but some won't see the increase until their June payment. 
    Not quite as late as June, rather May. The first UC assessment that gets the new increased rate is AP starting on 10th April which would therefore get the monthly payment on 16th May.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    calcotti said:
    woodbine said:
    JustPete said:
    woodbine said:
    poppy123456 said: For those claiming Universal Credit the increases will start from mid May but some won't see the increase until their June payment. 
    Not quite as late as June, rather May. The first UC assessment that gets the new increased rate is AP starting on 10th April which would therefore get the monthly payment on 16th May.

What about those with AP's starting before April 10th.. for EG 6th to 5th of each month? Wouldn't their first payment with the new amount be 12th June?, rather than 12th May?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    Options
    @woodbine . It’s a start but nowhere near enough , because of the massive increases in bills, food etc etc. 
    Next winter will be so difficult for myself and my wife☹️
    It all depends on the amount of weekly benefits that you get. Some pensioners are already on over £700 a week in benefits and state pensions before the 10.1% increase! Their income will rise by well over £70 a week! 
  • calcotti
    edited April 2023
    Options
    calcotti said:
    woodbine said:
    JustPete said:
    woodbine said:

What about those with AP's starting before April 10th.. for EG 6th to 5th of each month? Wouldn't their first payment with the new amount be 12th June?, rather than 12th May?
    If the AP started on 9th April (and therefore to the old rates) their AP ends on 8th May which is then paid on 15th May. You are correct therefore that the new rate would be payable in 15th June. Sorry I put that wrong this morning.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    No worries, it's an easy mistake to make. Thanks calcotti for confirming that i was correct.
  • woodbine
    Options
    calcotti said:
    woodbine said:
    JustPete said:
    woodbine said:
    I would have to disagree the 10.1% increases wasn't signposted until the budget, it was in line with Septembers CPI figure

• woodbine
    Options
    @woodbine . It’s a start but nowhere near enough , because of the massive increases in bills, food etc etc. 
    Maybe not, with a 10% increase coming up and inflation expected to fall (fall many reasons) to around 3% in the Autumn next Winter might be easier for us all.

• poppy123456
    Options
    woodbine said:
    calcotti said:
    woodbine said:
    JustPete said:
    woodbine said:
    I would have to disagree the 10.1% increases wasn't signposted until the budget, it was in line with Septembers CPI figure
    The link I posted above suggests otherwise. The last update of that link I posted was November 2022, which means Calcotti is correct. 
  • calcotti
    Options
    woodbine said:
    Maybe not, with a 10% increase coming up and inflation expected to fall (fall many reasons) to around 3% in the Autumn next Winter might be easier for us all.
    A fall in 3% increase doesn’t make things cost less, it only reduces at the rate at the prices continue to increase.
  • Adeline
    Adeline Community member Posts: 141 Pioneering
    Options
    I know what you mean. My rent alone has gone up £150 a month. I honestly am not sure what else we could cut back on. The internet is our last remaining 'luxury' but my children need it for school and my partner for work, it seems more of a necessity in today's world. 
    For the first time since I was a child, I've had chillblaines.
    I'm glad it's finally spring so maybe my toes won't be permanently blue! 

• ladyluck
    ladyluck Community member Posts: 69 Courageous
    Options
    Please be mindful (as I had no idea) this cost of living rise is brilliant, so a Thankyou to the government- unless you have a motability car. The usual yearly raise  in dla and pip is tiny, but the government has decided to give us all help for cost of living. Motability,unfortunately, even though they are a not for profit company, take the whole 10.1% . Just letting you all know. 
    Had I realised this a few months ago, when I signed up, I would maybe have had second thoughts. As a newly disabled person I’m quite shocked at this. The only thing I could do is give up the car which I am dependent on. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    ladyluck said:
    Please be mindful (as I had no idea) this cost of living rise is brilliant, so a Thankyou to the government- unless you have a motability car. The usual yearly raise  in dla and pip is tiny, but the government has decided to give us all help for cost of living. Motability,unfortunately, even though they are a not for profit company, take the whole 10.1% . Just letting you all know. 
    Had I realised this a few months ago, when I signed up, I would maybe have had second thoughts. As a newly disabled person I’m quite shocked at this. The only thing I could do is give up the car which I am dependent on. 

A lot of the motability vehicles have "total mobility allowance" next to them which means that when benefits increase you don't see any of the increase for the mobility part. I've been with motability since 2016 and it's never been any different. Regardless of that for me i think it's totally worth it.
  • ladyluck
    ladyluck Community member Posts: 69 Courageous
    Options
    I’m just quite shocked as it’s a raise (10.1%)  and a ‘one off’ that none of us expected. When I signed up for the car there was no promised cost of living rise anticipated at this level! It’s usually around 2.9%  and has been for years. Yes, I do think it’s a great service, but sad that they couldn’t let their customers benefit from it. I signed up in October and will be paying them over £338 extra over the next year. 
  • poppy123456
    edited April 2023
    Options
    ladyluck said:
    I’m just quite shocked as it’s a raise (10.1%)  and a ‘one off’ that none of us expected. When I signed up for the car there was no promised cost of living rise anticipated at this level! It’s usually around 2.9%  and has been for years. Yes, I do think it’s a great service, but sad that they couldn’t let their customers benefit from it. I signed up in October and will be paying them over £338 extra over the next year. 

It does state on their website that any mobility increases will not be paid to the customer if their vehicle is the total mobility allowance. This is the reason why some do not state the exact mobility allowance.

They also gave all their customers £750 new vehicle payment if you either ordered your first vehicle before the end of 2023 or you were a motability customer before 1st Jan 2022. https://www.motability.co.uk/get-support/end-of-lease/cars-wavs/next-vehicle/new-vehicle-payment/

• poppy123456
    Options
    @poppy123456
    In other words , some dealers are a rip off! No surprises there!

No, that's not what i said. The dealers have nothing to do with the motability prices.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.