Starting a club — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Starting a club

Options
Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
Obviously I'm not starting a club, lol, but wondered if disability or any other barriers weren't an issue, what topic, hobby or interest do you have that you would start or attend a club about it? 

I'd love to attend a book club. I mean I'd probably HATE it and would never attend, but I do love the idea of talking about books with other people. 

Comments

• life
    life Community member Posts: 527 Pioneering
    Options
    Sport for me. Boxing , football anything like that.

Or chess club if they exist 🤣
  • CATP
    CATP Community member Posts: 86 Courageous
    Options
    Obviously I'm not starting a club, lol, but wondered if disability or any other barriers weren't an issue, what topic, hobby or interest do you have that you would start or attend a club about it? 

I'd love to attend a book club. I mean I'd probably HATE it and would never attend, but I do love the idea of talking about books with other people. 

for me, id still love to go to a social group on learning (intelectual) disability and/or ASD. i had made a 'in person suport/social group in my local area for people LD &/or ASD, and parents of kids with LD and /or ASD,i wanted both sides to learn off each other and ask each other for ideas to help themselves-or the children of the non LD/ASD adults.
    my group was for people with all levels of LD and ASD whereas most of these groups tend to only invite autistics who woud otherwise be diagnosed with aspergers.i wanted to make sure as much of the spectrum and learning disability was represented as posible.

i was given fully acesible indoor space for the meeting free every week in one of the big care services ran by the company who suports me,i had made leaflets and i had no one helping me even the tiniest bit apart from some of my suport staff,i had built the website etc,i have quite severe,non verbal classic autism and mild intelectual disability i gave up my group before it got to the first  meetup as a woman was bullying me every day to hurry up and get it finished and i was called slow and thick by her because i wasnt fast enoughh-she knew i was sorting this out on my own,and i had intelectual disability and classic autism,my suport staff told me to get rid of the group as it was afecting my behaviors hugely.
    its sad as lots of people were PMing me saying they were desprate for this group but i just coudnt run it by myself and no one i trusted were willing to help me run it but they were fine with using the group.

i woud also like to atend a social group for learning disabled clubbers,and we woud go to different night clubs or events,to enable a lot of people who cant go to DJ sets,gigs etc because theyre LD and complex needs-for some its due to them not having 24 hr care, they might only have support staff up till 10pm.
    and we coud even go on holiday to ibiza together with our suport staffers.

i woud also like to go to a tech club for people with disabilitys,and teach about different tech stuff that might apeal to a person, rasberry pi boards for eexample ,softwares,AAC etc,it sounds cool to me.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,625 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If all barriers were removed then I'd attend a travelling club...travelling around the world to see all the different landscapes, cultures, architecture, etc.

Slightly more realistic would be a car club (used to be part of a few) or a music/comedy club.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,697 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I thought about a "church" for people who are not religious (or for people of any religion to come together but not debate religion). It would have all the benefits of a religious group, teach good morals, help each other, be a support network, social group etc. but without promoting a certain religion.

It turned out it had already been done!
  • life
    life Community member Posts: 527 Pioneering
    Options
    Who done it @66Mustang. That sounds good 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,697 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @life was done 10 years or so ago by some comedians in London

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunday_Assembly
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    life said:
    Sport for me. Boxing , football anything like that.

Or chess club if they exist 🤣
    I love chess! I enjoy watching sport too, boxing, UFC and Wrestling mostly but I have facial blindness so struggle to follow or remember who people are which makes it difficult. How long have you played chess?
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    @catp that's made me so angry  :angry: I can't believe that woman's behaviour!!!!!! It's so sad it meant you gave up with the group as it sounded so wonderful but your support staff were right that it isn't worth your own wellbeing. I don't know a lot about learning disabilities but I could talk ASD/ADHD all day long. The more I've learnt about both, the more I've understood myself and been able to help myself and feel better mentally.

A group would be fantastic to help others do the same
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    If all barriers were removed then I'd attend a travelling club...travelling around the world to see all the different landscapes, cultures, architecture, etc.

Slightly more realistic would be a car club (used to be part of a few) or a music/comedy club.
    Any particular music or comedy? I love that we'd both go travelling if we could. I know it will never ever happen for me. I can't even stand my own mess and potential germs, let alone those across the world but I'd absolutely love to be able to. In my dream world I'd travel and try different cuisines and cultures and explore but in the real world I can't even bring myself to try a new flavour of crisp let alone anything else :D: I bet you and mustang could start your own forum car club! I know nothing about cars 
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    I thought about a "church" for people who are not religious (or for people of any religion to come together but not debate religion). It would have all the benefits of a religious group, teach good morals, help each other, be a support network, social group etc. but without promoting a certain religion.

It turned out it had already been done!
    I love this, people forget that you can be a good person without being religious. 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Biblioklept The community pretty much has a book club with The Book Nook thread 😂

With seeing the responses here, I wondered, would members like clubs to be part of the community? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.