Need another fit note . — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Need another fit note .

Options
stay_positive
stay_positive Community member Posts: 241 Pioneering
My Gp is calling me back today to discuss the fit note , I don't hold much hope to be honest as our surgery do not like giving out fit notes, thing is i don't have a job and haven't worked so this is new and very stressful for me . 
I called the assessment place and they said just waiting for an appointment for an assessment and if I have any supporting evidence of treatment to send a copy in .
If my GP won't give me a fit note I do not know where to get one from . My mental health is sky high and I just got my CPAP machine yesterday , I stop breathing 39 time an hour , last night was the first night with the CPAP , it was challenging but i did manage to use it and it felt good breathing lol .

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,395 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There's are other healthcare professionals that can provide a fit note now such as nurses, Occupational Therapists, Pharmacists and Physiotherapists https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/who-can-issue-fit-notes-guidance-for-healthcare-professionals-and-their-employers/who-can-issue-fit-notes-guidance-for-healthcare-professionals-and-their-employers

Hope the CPAP machine helps.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • stay_positive
    Options
    Thanks Poppy, the CPAP machine was a challenge but it recorded 6 apneas an hour instead of 39, 
    Regarding the other professionals who can issue fit notes, I don't get anything on prescription , I asked the lung function nurse yesterday and said he couldn't provide a fit note , I do have a friend who is a pharmacist so could ask him .
  • poppy123456
    Options
    That's a big difference with the CPAP! If your GP refuses then you should request to speak to a different GP. Not having worked isn't a reason to refuse a fit note.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • stay_positive
    edited August 2023
    Options
    yay ! gp just called me he's writing out a fit note for 3 months and i can pick it up tomorrow .
    He also had the report from the hospital that I stop breathing 39 times an hour and I said I am exhausted , he said there is no wonder you don't get quality sleep . 
  • stay_positive
    Options
    Update, my GP did write a fit note out , but I asked him to change it because he has put that I may be fit to work light duties , if I put this in then what is the point of the assessment and what is the point in my work coach stopping all work related activities while I am waiting for an assessment ?
  • stay_positive
    edited August 2023
    Options
    GP won't change the fit note , this is what it says if Poppy has an opinion would love to hear please .
    Endometrioid carcinoma , anxiety .
    So the fit note says a box with amended duties . comments, including functional effects of your condition(s) 
    Light duties , Please consider working in small groups in a supportive environment .
    My GP knows I don't go out alone , yet he insists he has to put this that , If available ,and with your employer's agreement , you may benefit from .Light duties , Please consider working in small groups in a supportive environment .
    My husband just spoke to him and told him I do not go out alone and so what job would i do , also I don't have confidence for interviews . 
    Well I have to put it in for UC as its due on 31st August. 
     while my husband was on the phone and the GP was talking over my husband , i felt like screaming I get so frustrated with all this , i can do without it .
    in the box on the fit not he has put a cross in the 'you may be fit for work taking into account of the following advice .
  • poppy123456
    Options
    A fit note isn't proof or evidence you have limited capability for work so for this reason i don't think it really matters what's written on it. Fit notes are not taken into consideration when making the decision either.
  • stay_positive
    Options
    Poppy thank you as always you are so helpful and so honest , I do appreciate all you do . Once again thank you  :)
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Aww thank you, it’s always lovely to be appreciated! As always, you’re very welcome! ☺️
  • stay_positive
    Options
    I've just sent two l etters from the lung function clinic and my therapist , I sent them to the dwp which they said would be useful . 
    So with the fit note for another three months , the two letters sent off , the sleep apnea information I sent because i put the condition on the UC 50 form as advised by the MacMillan benefits helper , and a note at the section for additional information . With sleep apnea and the fact I stop breathing during the night makes me very tired and I fall to sleep during the day . It really affects my daily living . I couldn't add it to PIP as i was in the diagnosis stage once my application had been sent in and I got awarded before my firs appointment . 
    So I am really hoping the CPAP machine improves the condition , there is no cure , but it can be managed with the treatment . 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I would advise you to send the extra evidence to the Health Assessment Advisory Service as well because they are the ones responsible for writing the assessment reports. Contact details for those are here. https://chdauk.co.uk/about-us/contact-us/

With sleep apnea and the fact I stop breathing during the night makes me very tired and I fall to sleep during the day . It really affects my daily living . I couldn't add it to PIP as i was in the diagnosis stage

For future reference you could have given the information for your PIP claim because PIP isn't about a diagnosis.

• stay_positive
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Poppy, I dare not add the sleep apnea now to the pip claim , my review is in March 2026, not even sure whether I should add it .

I will send the extra evidence to the site u mentioned . Thank you :)
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,112 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You don't need to let the DWP know about a new diagnosis. Should you do so, they might consider this what's called a 'Change of circumstances,' which means you'd have to complete a new claim form, likely have an assessment, etc. Before considering this you should try to get some local benefits advice such as from https://advicelocal.uk/welfare-benefits  a new diagnosis, or even a worsening of condition, do not necessarily mean you'd get a higher award, so it should be checked to see if it's likely you'd get sufficient points for this to happen. Also there's always the chance that, because it would be treated as a new claim, you could be potentially worse off as everything would be looked at anew.

• poppy123456
    Options
    Poppy, I dare not add the sleep apnea now to the pip claim , my review is in March 2026, not even sure whether I should add it .

I didn't mean you should add it now, that's why i said "for future referrence." More often than not if you ring PIP to tell them they will take it as a change of circumstances and send you more forms.
  • stay_positive
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    You don't need to let the DWP know about a new diagnosis. Should you do so, they might consider this what's called a 'Change of circumstances,' which means you'd have to complete a new claim form, likely have an assessment, etc. Before considering this you should try to get some local benefits advice such as from https://advicelocal.uk/welfare-benefits  a new diagnosis, or even a worsening of condition, do not necessarily mean you'd get a higher award, so it should be checked to see if it's likely you'd get sufficient points for this to happen. Also there's always the chance that, because it would be treated as a new claim, you could be potentially worse off as everything would be looked at anew.

This isn't for PIP , it is for the UC50. I phoned them to ask if they had received the form and they said yes , they said on UC that any information needs to be sent to the email address provided.
    The reason for sending in the diagnosis of sleep apnea is because I ticked on the form that i fall to sleep during the day and added a note on the extra bit .

I already have PIP since April, I was going through the tests at that time so wasn't diagnoses . I am not contacting them with the diagnosis , but my daily living is affected by sleep apnea as I am exhausted and cannot function . I only got the standard daily living of PIP and the enhanced mobility .
  • poppy123456
    Options
    This isn't for PIP , it is for the UC50. I phoned them to ask if they had received the form and they said yes , they said on UC that any information needs to be sent to the email address provided.
    The reason for sending in the diagnosis of sleep apnea is because I ticked on the form that i fall to sleep during the day and added a note on the extra bit .

I already have PIP since April, I was going through the tests at that time so wasn't diagnoses . I am not contacting them with the diagnosis , but my daily living is affected by sleep apnea as I am exhausted and cannot function . I only got the standard daily living of PIP and the enhanced mobility .

Chiarieds was advising about PIP because you said this..

• stay_positive
    Options
    okay, i knew not to add to PIP , but even in 2026 seems I cannot add the sleep apnea in fear of them wanting a new full assessment .

• poppy123456
    Options
    There's nothing to say that you shouldn't add this, infact i think quite the opposite and you should include everything when the time comes. Most people have assessments. ( i know you had a paper based this time) When you do have your review then you should treat it as a new claim, even if there's been no changes to your health. Just putting "no change" on the forms is opening it up to all sorts of things.
  • stay_positive
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Poppy  thanks 
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 969 Pioneering
    edited September 2023
    Options

What I've read is that you should ask your GP to write a letter for DWP stating that s/he has previously issued 'fit notes' - Med 3 certificates - for you, that you receive (disability benefit) and that your conditions will not improve

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.