Housing and independent living
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

I'm looking into living in Leeds and I've found a number of properties that might be suitable


  • Geo08Geo08 Member Posts: 49 Courageous
    Hi Debbie,

    I am a disabled Law Student hoping to start a career in Law within Leeds. I am looking into living in Leeds 3 years early (it pays to be prepared) and I've found a number of properties that might be suitable in terms of general access. They are typically long leases (999 years) and I was just wondering if I wanted to make adjustments to the fixtures of the property can I compel my potential landlord to agree by virtue of s36 of the Equality Act 2010 particularly if the adjustments would be at my own cost?

    What are your thoughts on this?
  • Debbie_ScopeDebbie_Scope Member Posts: 947 Pioneering
    Hi Geo08,

    Thanks for posting your question.
    One of the issues that would be considered is whether there are any covenants within the lease which would restrict the type of adjustments you require. There could be some legal restrictions that are out of the landlord's control. Just as a general example, the building may have a covenant which restricts occupiers from installing a satellite dish for instance, or the windows have to be replaced with exact replicas. There could be a covenant which means that the structure of the building cannot be changed. These are just a couple of broad examples and much will depend on the deeds and lease. It can be a bit tricky to work this out and you may need the help of a solicitor during the purchase of the property to work this out and gain the permission you need. If there are no such restrictions then I'm sure most landlords would be agreeable to the adjustments particularly if you are going to pay for them and maintain them yourself. However you could face opposition from neighbouring properties so it would definitely be a good idea to get all of this checked out and get written permission before you take ownership of the property.
    I hope this helps and if there's anything I can help with, do let me know.

    Best wishes
Sign in or join us to comment.