What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Carers Allowance

MattStuart555MattStuart555 Member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi, my question is hopefully easily answered. What I would like to know is, if somebody gets carers allowance for an individual lets say Simon, does Simon's benefit get somehow reduced if an individual is getting carers allowance for them? Hope I explained that OK :-)


  • cerisarahcerisarah Member Posts: 7 Listener
    Not that I believe, my father in law has DLA and his wife claimed careers allowance and his rate didn't change
  • Angel40Angel40 Member Posts: 34 Connected
    I think it can reduce esa payments, depending what rate you are on, eg if the carer gets esa as a couple it can come off the income in some circumstances
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi MattStuart555

    The answer to your question is that the cared for person's benefit can sometimes go down. If the cared for person (Simon) lives alone and gets another benefit such as income related Employment and Support Allowance then the Carer's Allowance claim can lead to a reduction in Simon's benefit of £61.85 per week. It is the severe disability premium within certain means tested benefits that can be lost.

    If Simon lives with another adult who is not affected by a disability, or he doesn't claim a means tested benefit then Simon's benefits are not likely to be affected by a Carer's Allowance claim.

    You can find out more about the severe disability premium here on the Turn2us website.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.