What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

How much money a week would my son lose from his severe disability allowance if he moves back home?

Lizzie58Lizzie58 Member Posts: 4 Listener
I'm new to this and after finally being awarded the servere disablity allowance my son wants to come home and rent a room from me. I wondered if anyon knows how much money a week I would loose if he does move back? I am on Pip and Esa income related wins all pension 


  • BeccaShark123BeccaShark123 Member Posts: 46 Courageous
    Hi @Lizzie58

    Welcome to Scope's online community!

    We have a webpage that is dedicated to benefits advice threads, where you'll be able to get help with this question.

    I'm sure @Sam_Scope , @LiamO_Dell , or @MikeBroderick will be happy to move your post into there.

    Alternatively, you can repost in the thread by clicking the link below:


    and starting a new post with your question.

    Once the post is in that thread, a benefits advisor will then reply to your post with advice in due course.

    Becca :)
  • Liam_AlumniLiam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,113 Pioneering
    Hi @Lizzie58,

    Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you on board.

    I have moved this post into our Ask a Benefits Advisor group, where @BenefitsTrainingCo may be able to advise.

    I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, then please do get in touch!
  • NystagmiteNystagmite Member Posts: 608 Pioneering
    Are you on pip care?
  • Lizzie58Lizzie58 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Sorry the question should have said I am on Pip care and mobility Esa income related and receive SDA I have only just got it all sorted out as I receive a small pension they took ages to recalculate. My Esa was only paid as contribution while they sorted it out took 3 months so worried what will happen if my son rents a room.
  • Lizzie58Lizzie58 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    My son works full-time 
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi Lizzie58

    I think you probably mean SDP rather than SDA. This may sound pedantic but is important because one is affected and the other is not. The Severe Disability Premium is a part of income related ESA and is usually not paid when another adult lives in your home. Severe Disablement Allowance is not affected by another adult living in your home but unless you started getting this more than 15 years ago you will not be getting it now. And so i'm going to assume that you mean SDP rather than SDA!

    The SDP is worth up to £62.45 per week and you will almost certainly no longer qualify for it when your son returns to live at home. And so the most you can lose from your ESA will be that amount, £62.45. If you are currently getting less than this in your income related ESA then you will only lose what you are being paid but you might find that you get less in your Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Benefit if indeed you get these. It's impossible for us to be any more precise on this without knowing the details of your other income.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.