Advise about carers pls — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Advise about carers pls

lynnmm Member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi I need  some advise  on claiming carers
allowance  for  my daughter who gets Pip and Esa . She was awarded pip in 2016 because  she  was  diagnosed  with  hodgkins lymphoma  , at the time i was  working  fulltime but had to go  onto ssp to be able to look after  her and i couldn't get carers because  of  working to many hours. She has  sonce been  diagnosed  with  a  left ventrical cardio myophathy  which  is life  threatening, just to complicate things  against all the  odds  she  is  6 months pregnant.  I have  so far managed to keep working  fulltime  but my daughter  is  struggling  with  day to day living  now and  although  this  is  partly  due to  her pregnancy  her doctors  are saying  she is  going to be struggling after having  the baby. If i was to give up work  or try and find a job  with less hours  what would  i be  able to  claim and  would  i be  able to  claim carers allowance for  her. 
Thanks lynn


  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Posts: 8,845 Connected
    I presume she's getting PIP daily living for you to have even attempted a CA claim? The current earnings limit is £116. I think this rises to £120 come April 2018.  There's no hours limit. It's just about the pay, although it assumes you will be earning minimum wage. The only time hours come into play for CA is if you're studying.

    Before you look at CA have you looked at a local authority assessment and paid care? 
  • lynnmm
    lynnmm Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Never heard  of  the  local  accessment and paid  care . What  are they. 
    Thanks  for  replying 
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Posts: 8,845 Connected

    If your daughter has care needs she can approach the local authority for an assessment of need and, if appropriate, various services could be offered or put in place.

    Alternatively, she or you could pay for a carer regardless of any LA assessment.

    You should explore both of these options in detail before considering lowering your hours or giving up work.

  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,798 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lynnmm, I hope you find the above advice helpful, and I agree with Mike that looking at all options carefully before making a decision is the best thing to do. You might also find the online benefits calculator useful.

    It sounds like you've had a lot to deal with lately, are you getting any support as a carer? You may also like to check out our parents and carers group to find other members in similar circumstances. Do keep us updated with your progress.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.