PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Back Payment new claim

BJ2018BJ2018 Member Posts: 29 Connected
edited July 2018 in PIP, DLA and AA
Does anyone know how this works ? I started the claim on the 20th March 2018. Now received a payment but I dont know if they have back dated me from 20th March until today or a date prior to today. I've had no letters nothing in the post 

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Ring them and ask. Payment usually goes into the bank before the letter arrives. You'll be backdated to 20th March. Do you know what you've been awarded?
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • BJ2018BJ2018 Member Posts: 29 Connected
    Ive been awarded standard living.... I'll wait to get the report before deciding to do MR or not 
    Be careful when asking for the MR, you could lose everything you already have. Though most MR decisions remain the same.

You need to take a look at the PIP descriptors to see where you can gain those extra points. If you only score 8 points for Daily living and look the descriptors and can only score another 2 points then it's pointless asking the the MR.

If you think you should have been awarded mobility take a look at the descriptors. It depends if you're claiming for mental health or physical disabilities for which part applies. Following and planning a journey or moving around. Be sure you understand each one because that's important.

If you decide to MR request it, you have 28 days from the date of the decision. Good luck.

PS, you backdated money won't include today, it will be a date prior to today.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,926 Disability Gamechanger
    Be careful when asking for the MR, you could lose everything you already have. Though most MR decisions remain the same.
    I do think such phrases need much more caution. The fact is that almost nobody does completely lose what they already have. It would be far better to say that any challenge carries a risk. The risk needs assessing by an adviser. Generally it’s okay for people to assess their own likely entitlement at the outset as the risks are minimal but far less okay to expect people to be able to assess what their points ought to be and the likely risk to those of a challenge. 

It seems to me that huge swathes of disabled people are put off perfectly legitimate and worthwhile challenges by those two words “lose everything” when that’s more often than not simply not the case. Too much of the benefit system has already been designed to include an element of fear, in part induced by often wholly unnecessary battles to get legitimate awards, so it’s really important we don’t accidentally contribute to or perpetuate such myths.
  • MisscleoMisscleo Member Posts: 646 Pioneering
    I do think such phrases need much more caution. The fact is that almost nobody does completely lose what they already have. It would be far better to say that any challenge carries a risk. The risk needs assessing by an adviser. Generally it’s okay for people to assess their own likely entitlement at the outset as the risks are minimal but far less okay to expect people to be able to assess what their points ought to be and the likely risk to those of a challenge. 

It seems to me that huge swathes of disabled people are put off perfectly legitimate and worthwhile challenges by those two words “lose everything” when that’s more often than not simply not the case. Too much of the benefit system has already been designed to include an element of fear, in part induced by often wholly unnecessary battles to get legitimate awards, so it’s really important we don’t accidentally contribute to or perpetuate such myths.
    Which is why i did state "though most decisions remain the same"
    You do come across as a person that has plenty to say and you are very argumentative.
    I actually think the things I have to say on here are by and large limited to the same points over and over. 

I absolutely saw the context for your statement, which is why I quoted it in full, but I stand by my comment. Most people here and in general will read the sentence I have highlighted and no further. The risk factor must always be part of the conversation but how it’s expressed is vitally important and I’ve said previously it cannot possibly be assessed by anyone online.

There’s no basis for telling anyone with at least 8 points that they could lose everything unless you know for certain that at least 1 of those points is debatable and I don’t see how any of us could unless we were their adviser. It’s an issue that is only ever appropriate for face to face advice.
  • debbiedo49debbiedo49 Member Posts: 2,906 Disability Gamechanger
    But we do live in fear of losing everything and that’s not our fault. It’s a horrible system and it’s realistic to expect the worst. In this case I would look at the details of the award and how long it’s for before doing anything as it could be a short period of time and be up in less than 2 years. Definitely get f2f advice.
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    I am a fibro warrior !💜♏️
  • sunnydays1sunnydays1 Member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hi is payment sent the same day your claim has been decided by the DM thank you 
  • YadnadYadnad Posts: 2,856 Member

In the main I agree with what you have said. But I do notice that you advise most of the time to seek the help of a WRO or an advisor or get face to face advice.
    You know from your own experience with working at the 'coal face' that it is extremely difficult to access such advice from a professional. As you know I have never been able to obtain any advice from anybody since 2011 when I needed it most.
    As such fear is part of the system: I feel that is it built into it on purpose. 
  • oldngrumpyoldngrumpy Member Posts: 32 Courageous
    I sent a MR last week after discussing what options were available to
    me with a CAB advisor.
    I was warned that I could lose what I have been awarded.
    But I am arguing what the assessor said with regards to planning...
    I also have a Psychologist report which highlights my problems with planning and I sent a copy.
    I was also told (in my words) that they can throw out a claim...
    But was then told that I would be able to claim again, but this would entail applying again as a new claim.
    Until December last year I was on the full rate DLA. Life award.
    But had it taken off me.
    So shall go all the way
  • sunnydays1sunnydays1 Member Posts: 7 Listener
    No.
    Short and sweet but thank you x
    Yadnad said:

In the main I agree with what you have said. But I do notice that you advise most of the time to seek the help of a WRO or an advisor or get face to face advice.
    You know from your own experience with working at the 'coal face' that it is extremely difficult to access such advice from a professional. As you know I have never been able to obtain any advice from anybody since 2011 when I needed it most.
    As such fear is part of the system: I feel that is it built into it on purpose. 
    To clarify further then...

No-one, but no-one, can make an assessment of risk in an online forum. In order to do so you would need to have seen the existing points score and be able to understand why each set was awarded. If it’s not possible to understand why specific points were awarded then there is a risk.

The extent of that risk depends on many factors. It could be that there’s evidence we’ve not seen or evidence held back which could make those points secure. It could be that future surgery or treatment could impact all or some points. There’s a multitude of things in play and the only ways to get grips with that is either by face to face advice or a long, detailed phone call.

In just the same way I would never tell someone online that the risk is minimal in their case (it may not be, even with the most debilitating of conditions) I don’t see how anyone can say you could lose everything. There’s no way of saying and it’s true in very few cases. Even when it does happen it’s often in error and can be fixed. 

One of the reasons the “could lose everything” idea gains traction is that those people who do wrongly lose everything often give up because they’ve no-one to tell them otherwise; and as @Yadnad says, advice often isn’t available. Their stories are often the ones which gain traction online and yet, had they been able to access advice, they most likely (as we often find) get most, if not all, of their original award restored.

Surely though, those people who do not have access to face to face or even telephone advice, are therefore going to be better served by online discussions which are a bit more nuanced than “leave it well alone, you could lose everything”? 
Sign in or join us to comment.