Back Payment new claim — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Back Payment new claim

BJ2018
BJ2018 Community member Posts: 36 Courageous
edited July 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Does anyone know how this works ? I started the claim on the 20th March 2018. Now received a payment but I dont know if they have back dated me from 20th March until today or a date prior to today. I've had no letters nothing in the post 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Ring them and ask. Payment usually goes into the bank before the letter arrives. You'll be backdated to 20th March. Do you know what you've been awarded?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • BJ2018
    BJ2018 Community member Posts: 36 Courageous
    Ive been awarded standard living.... I'll wait to get the report before deciding to do MR or not 
  • poppy123456
    Be careful when asking for the MR, you could lose everything you already have. Though most MR decisions remain the same.

You need to take a look at the PIP descriptors to see where you can gain those extra points. If you only score 8 points for Daily living and look the descriptors and can only score another 2 points then it's pointless asking the the MR.

If you think you should have been awarded mobility take a look at the descriptors. It depends if you're claiming for mental health or physical disabilities for which part applies. Following and planning a journey or moving around. Be sure you understand each one because that's important.

If you decide to MR request it, you have 28 days from the date of the decision. Good luck.

PS, you backdated money won't include today, it will be a date prior to today.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
  • poppy123456
    Be careful when asking for the MR, you could lose everything you already have. Though most MR decisions remain the same.
    I do think such phrases need much more caution. The fact is that almost nobody does completely lose what they already have. It would be far better to say that any challenge carries a risk. The risk needs assessing by an adviser. Generally it’s okay for people to assess their own likely entitlement at the outset as the risks are minimal but far less okay to expect people to be able to assess what their points ought to be and the likely risk to those of a challenge. 

It seems to me that huge swathes of disabled people are put off perfectly legitimate and worthwhile challenges by those two words “lose everything” when that’s more often than not simply not the case. Too much of the benefit system has already been designed to include an element of fear, in part induced by often wholly unnecessary battles to get legitimate awards, so it’s really important we don’t accidentally contribute to or perpetuate such myths.
    Which is why i did state "though most decisions remain the same"
    You do come across as a person that has plenty to say and you are very argumentative.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    But we do live in fear of losing everything and that’s not our fault. It’s a horrible system and it’s realistic to expect the worst. In this case I would look at the details of the award and how long it’s for before doing anything as it could be a short period of time and be up in less than 2 years. Definitely get f2f advice.
  • sunnydays1
    sunnydays1 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hi is payment sent the same day your claim has been decided by the DM thank you 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    I do think such phrases need much more caution. The fact is that almost nobody does completely lose what they already have. It would be far better to say that any challenge carries a risk. The risk needs assessing by an adviser. Generally it’s okay for people to assess their own likely entitlement at the outset as the risks are minimal but far less okay to expect people to be able to assess what their points ought to be and the likely risk to those of a challenge. 

It seems to me that huge swathes of disabled people are put off perfectly legitimate and worthwhile challenges by those two words “lose everything” when that’s more often than not simply not the case. Too much of the benefit system has already been designed to include an element of fear, in part induced by often wholly unnecessary battles to get legitimate awards, so it’s really important we don’t accidentally contribute to or perpetuate such myths.
    In the main I agree with what you have said. But I do notice that you advise most of the time to seek the help of a WRO or an advisor or get face to face advice.
    You know from your own experience with working at the 'coal face' that it is extremely difficult to access such advice from a professional. As you know I have never been able to obtain any advice from anybody since 2011 when I needed it most.
    As such fear is part of the system: I feel that is it built into it on purpose. 
  • oldngrumpy
    oldngrumpy Scope Member Posts: 215 Pioneering
    I sent a MR last week after discussing what options were available to
    me with a CAB advisor.
    I was warned that I could lose what I have been awarded.
    But I am arguing what the assessor said with regards to planning...
    I also have a Psychologist report which highlights my problems with planning and I sent a copy.
    I was also told (in my words) that they can throw out a claim...
    But was then told that I would be able to claim again, but this would entail applying again as a new claim.
    Until December last year I was on the full rate DLA. Life award.
    But had it taken off me.
    So shall go all the way
  • sunnydays1
    sunnydays1 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    No.
    Short and sweet but thank you x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.