Access to high street shops — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Access to high street shops

Options
DavidJ
DavidJ Community member Posts: 55 Pioneering
Since becoming disabled I have realised that real life is so loaded against the disabled .
I am as guilty as anyone else in that before I became disabled I never gave even one thought about how a disabled person would be able to shop , especially now that I have begun to post on google .
I am absolutely amazed and disgusted at the number of shops on the high stree that I can’t get into.
The high street is dying and I am not surprised! City centre shops are usually DDA compliant but then parking is a nightmare !!
So I go out of the city into the suburbs or out of town centres to shop  . That’s when I realised that a lot of shops have no disabled access at all . When I query it I am told that they are not allowed to encroach on the pavements by the Council . So much for equality eh!! 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I dont think many people realise how inaccessible places are until they are in a position of losing some mobility!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Completely agree with you bot. Where I used to live there was a disability shop yet it wasn't wheelchair accessible...
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • axwy62
    axwy62 Community member Posts: 142 Pioneering
    Options
    The worst thing  find is being able to get into a shop only to find every aisle cluttered by displays etc. My local branch of WH Smith are the worst offenders and I can't avoid them because our only remaining post office is at the back of the shop. Every time I complain they remind me I can ask for help. Not much use if I'm looking for a birthday card - what are they going to do, bring me one of everything so I can pick?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.