Access to high street shops — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Access to high street shops

Options
DavidJ
DavidJ Community member Posts: 55 Pioneering
Since becoming disabled I have realised that real life is so loaded against the disabled .
I am as guilty as anyone else in that before I became disabled I never gave even one thought about how a disabled person would be able to shop , especially now that I have begun to post on google .
I am absolutely amazed and disgusted at the number of shops on the high stree that I can’t get into.
The high street is dying and I am not surprised! City centre shops are usually DDA compliant but then parking is a nightmare !!
So I go out of the city into the suburbs or out of town centres to shop  . That’s when I realised that a lot of shops have no disabled access at all . When I query it I am told that they are not allowed to encroach on the pavements by the Council . So much for equality eh!! 

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I dont think many people realise how inaccessible places are until they are in a position of losing some mobility!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Completely agree with you bot. Where I used to live there was a disability shop yet it wasn't wheelchair accessible...
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • axwy62
    axwy62 Community member Posts: 142 Pioneering
    Options
    The worst thing  find is being able to get into a shop only to find every aisle cluttered by displays etc. My local branch of WH Smith are the worst offenders and I can't avoid them because our only remaining post office is at the back of the shop. Every time I complain they remind me I can ask for help. Not much use if I'm looking for a birthday card - what are they going to do, bring me one of everything so I can pick?

Brightness