Different types of ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Different types of ESA

Looking for advice regarding different ESA entitlements. unfortunately I'm not sure if income related or income support and illness related, { I have several hidden disabilities and autoimmune diseases}. I receive PIP at the middle rate for care /low for mobility.  I also get the entitlement for living alone .  My main question is if it turns out to be income support and illness. How effective  and without major problems is it to change over to Income related ESA..  I wish to enter the permitted work scheme  .   Any advice would be highly appreciated 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,465 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2019

    There's no such thing as ESA Income support. There's 3 types of ESA, Contributions based, Income related and contributions based with an income related top up.

    As you're claiming the extra for living alone (severe disability premium) then it's either Income related ESA or Contributions based with an income related top up that you're claiming.

    Permitted work is possible when claiming any rate of ESA. You mustn't work any more than 15.59 hours per week and not earn any more than £125.50 per week. You must get permission from DWP before starting the permitted work and you must fill out the PW1 form.

    You also need to be aware that any future ESA assessment may go against you if the work you do contradicts the reasons you're claiming ESA and the same for PIP.

    See permitted work rules in this link.

    There's also no middle or low rate of PIP, it's standard and Enhanced only.

  • Tilda5811
    Tilda5811 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you Poppy , I have filled the form in already and also sourced the appropriate employment which DWP permits a support worker in the local Health profession Mentoring my work and coaching my activities . 
  • wilko
    wilko Member Posts: 2,449 Disability Gamechanger
    It’s the income top up that has and does catch people out with their savings limits. So be aware that if you are not sure which ESA benefits you are claiming or if you are getting an income top up they find out by phoning DWP other wise you may think your saving are in the limit but in fact you are thousands over and have to repay benefits claimed and have benefits removed because of you over the limit of your declared financial status.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.