Different types of ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Different types of ESA

Options
Tilda5811
Tilda5811 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Looking for advice regarding different ESA entitlements. unfortunately I'm not sure if income related or income support and illness related, { I have several hidden disabilities and autoimmune diseases}. I receive PIP at the middle rate for care /low for mobility.  I also get the entitlement for living alone .  My main question is if it turns out to be income support and illness. How effective  and without major problems is it to change over to Income related ESA..  I wish to enter the permitted work scheme  .   Any advice would be highly appreciated 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,271 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Hi,

There's no such thing as ESA Income support. There's 3 types of ESA, Contributions based, Income related and contributions based with an income related top up.

As you're claiming the extra for living alone (severe disability premium) then it's either Income related ESA or Contributions based with an income related top up that you're claiming.

Permitted work is possible when claiming any rate of ESA. You mustn't work any more than 15.59 hours per week and not earn any more than £125.50 per week. You must get permission from DWP before starting the permitted work and you must fill out the PW1 form.

You also need to be aware that any future ESA assessment may go against you if the work you do contradicts the reasons you're claiming ESA and the same for PIP.

See permitted work rules in this link.

There's also no middle or low rate of PIP, it's standard and Enhanced only.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tilda5811
    Tilda5811 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you Poppy , I have filled the form in already and also sourced the appropriate employment which DWP permits a support worker in the local Health profession Mentoring my work and coaching my activities . 

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It’s the income top up that has and does catch people out with their savings limits. So be aware that if you are not sure which ESA benefits you are claiming or if you are getting an income top up they find out by phoning DWP other wise you may think your saving are in the limit but in fact you are thousands over and have to repay benefits claimed and have benefits removed because of you over the limit of your declared financial status.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.