Pip Assessment finally - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip Assessment finally

Options
2»

Comments

• cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @twonker - you may be right but I can't really judge as my experience is based on only one assessment.

I could actually do a lot of the descriptors - what was a problem for most of them was the 'reliability' factor. e.g. I could prepare and cook a very nice meal, as long as I didn't leave the gas on and set the house on fire...

Winding back to my own assessment, I tried to add 'reliably to each of the questions and then answer "I can't do 'x' reliably' (if this were the case) and then explain why. I found it difficult to do this throughout the assessment but I thought that it was a key part of the process.

The problem is that I imagine I might have sounded like a barrack room lawyer, or a 'know it all' who had learnt the DWP guidelines!
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    twonker said:
    The reliably factor is not something that the assessor tends to offer. It seems that it is for the claimant to claim it through the answers to the questions asked. I too was never asked anything about reliability - just that you can either do it or not do it. I did try to put that point to the assessor in saying yes to cooking BUT.... and yes to bathing BUT..., but my 'buts' were disregarded as they had already registered my answer and had moved on to the next question.
    Here is the problem that most people have. We are preprogrammed to answer in the positive, When you visit  your GP for example they will often say " How are you today ?" and you reply " I am fine" or similar.
    You need to get used to answering " No, but on some occasions" etc. When you answer yes, the assessor will move on and not hear any explaination you may offer. When you answer No, the assessor then has to listen and  ask further questions to qualify an answer
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • pcoventry
    pcoventry Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    Options
    thedoc said:
    Finally had my assessment date for pip claim of capita and it's a home visit rather apprehensive though because its my first claim. Any information on what it will be like would be greatfully received thanks 
    I had one on Monday it's not as bad as you think - they will ask about your worst day - give as much info as possible 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your experience @pcoventry! Hope it goes well @thedoc and that the advice has helped :) 
    Scope

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    pcoventry said:

I had one on Monday it's not as bad as you think - they will ask about your worst day - give as much info as possible 
     During an assessment they don't ask about your worst day and you really shouldn't base it on your worst day. PIP is about how you are at least 50% of the time over a 12 month period, it's not about your worst day.

If you tell them your worst day during an assessment and it's not your worst day, then it's very likely the HCP will see through this and think "if that's their worst day then they can't be as bad as they say they are"

Always tell them about all of your days, whether they are good or bad.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @poppy123456 @pcoventry...if I remember correctly other posters have mentioned being asked about their worst day.....

...which is strange, because I agree with you that it doesn't seem like a good idea...

• pcoventry
    pcoventry Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    Options
    @cristobal I am lucky in that 6 out of 7 days are my worst days - so I was having a bad day when I had my assessment 
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    Options
    twonker said:
    The reliably factor is not something that the assessor tends to offer. It seems that it is for the claimant to claim it through the answers to the questions asked. I too was never asked anything about reliability - just that you can either do it or not do it. I did try to put that point to the assessor in saying yes to cooking BUT.... and yes to bathing BUT..., but my 'buts' were disregarded as they had already registered my answer and had moved on to the next question.
    Here is the problem that most people have. We are preprogrammed to answer in the positive, When you visit  your GP for example they will often say " How are you today ?" and you reply " I am fine" or similar.
    You need to get used to answering " No, but on some occasions" etc. When you answer yes, the assessor will move on and not hear any explaination you may offer. When you answer No, the assessor then has to listen and  ask further questions to qualify an answer
    Not saying that you are right or wrong. Taking the question you have quoted and making it a negative. GP how are you feeling today? Not good at all, but some days are better than others when in fact you are actually having a good day but some days are not as good.

Surely giving the first answer would be a lie?

If you start believing in the negative so as to give the answer you suggest most people will end up thinking and believing that life in general is a negative experience. That could cause terrible consequences for those who suffer from various mental health issues.

All it needs is for the assessor to listen to what is being said without the claimant having to turn everything around so that no is the first thing out of your mouth.
    Personally I don't want to lie or be a negative individual and it is not right that the PIP system tries to make people think negatively.

• twonker
    Options
    pcoventry said:

During an assessment they don't ask about your worst day and you really shouldn't base it on your worst day. PIP is about how you are at least 50% of the time over a 12 month period, it's not about your worst day.

If you tell them your worst day during an assessment and it's not your worst day, then it's very likely the HCP will see through this and think "if that's their worst day then they can't be as bad as they say they are"

Always tell them about all of your days, whether they are good or bad.
    Your post goes against what Cockneyrebel is saying. He says that you should not answer any question with a positive statement such as yes.

This all sounds a bit confusing to me. Say it as it is is my motto and if appropriate qualify your answer as you are suggesting.
  • Megan27
    Megan27 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Options
    Totally confusing I've got a home face to face on Wednesday my condition is about safety has I have a very unstable knee and was going to answer the questions around safety
  • CockneyRebel
    Options
    Don't be rushed into answering. Listen to what is being asked. Don't say yes to something and then try to qualify having difficulty. Many closed questions lead you into giving yes or no answers, can you complete an activity Safely, Repeatedly, To an acceptable standard, In a reasonable time and for the majority of time
  • Megan27
    Options
    Thankyou so do you my say yes or no just give an answer why you can't it's so stressful it's made me more ill
  • CockneyRebel
    Options
    You must always answer truthfully, if you have difficulty say so

• Megan27
    Options
    I have a lot of difficulty and will answer truthfully I had lots of evidence as well but some answers are confusing  but I suppose it depends on the day what's asked
  • twonker
    Options
    You must always answer truthfully, if you have difficulty say so

There should be no difficulty in telling the truth
  • Megan27
    Options

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.