PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Don't understand why it's only 3 months?

Pamelaf84Pamelaf84 Member Posts: 4 Listener
edited April 2020 in PIP, DLA and AA
So I got my award letter today and I've passed but only until 6 June 2020, don't understand why it's only for 3 months? I had my face to face in February. Does this mean I'll need to go for another face to face when this is all over I'm so confused 

Replies

• EricaMcDEricaMcD Member Posts: 33 Courageous
    Hi, I have not heard of just a short time to receive it.  I hope some other online community members help.  Good luck.
  • Abdi_ScopeAbdi_Scope Scope Posts: 234 Pioneering
    Hi @Pamelaf84 - Welcome to the community, it’s good to have you here. :smile:  I can see you are talking about benefits - have a look at the benefits board here please and you might see one that relates directly to your issue. I am sure you will get a response from our many members and also the scope team. Do let me know how you get along.
  • Pamelaf84Pamelaf84 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    I'm thinking it maybe an extension with everything going on n maybe not came to a decision as my claim finished on the 11th so probably put a 3 month extension onto it til they come to a decision 
  • AilsAils Member Posts: 2,268 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Pamelaf84 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you.  Maybe you could give DWP a call to clarify things with them.  Their customer service number is 0800 055 6688.  I hope you find the answer to your question anyway.  Please let us know how you get on.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • chiariedschiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 8,066 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Pamelaf84 - Welcome to the community from me too. I hope you get your query answered by the DWP, & will let us know, as Abdi & Ails have already asked. People's experiences with benefits during this pandemic help us all learn how things are working at the moment, thank you. :)
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,002 Disability Gamechanger
    This sounds slightly garbled. We’d need to know a little about the health condition which caused you to claim PIP to be able to offer an informed view. 
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 3,802 Disability Gamechanger
    Its almost certainly an extension to a benefit you are already getting, probably PIP?
    my advice is given freely and is correct to the best of my knowledge.
  • worried33worried33 Member Posts: 399 Pioneering
    is it a review or a new claim?
    It was a review, been on PIP for 4 years 
    edited April 2020
    @mikehughescq y would you need to know the health condition?? Not being cheeky but that's nobody's business 
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,002 Disability Gamechanger
    Pamelaf84 said:
    @mikehughescq y would you need to know the health condition?? Not being cheeky but that's nobody's business 
    Specifically because not everyone qualifies for PIP on the basis of a long term condition given that you can qualify if you've had needs for 3 months back and are likely to have them for 9 months going forward. 

So, for example, if you qualified for PIP because of a broken limb which required surgery after which full recovery would ordinarily be expected then it's foreseeable that a very short review date would be set. Compare that to say to someone who had dry macular degeneration who may have been discharged by a hospital and told to come back only when things had gotten considerably worse. 

Similarly if surgery as an inpatient had been scheduled for 3 months from now then that would also be an indicator as to why a short award. 

Thus, the detail of the specific health issue is absolutely relevant to answering the question. I appreciate you may not wish to disclose but it's hard to have even the remotest clue about the answer to your question without knowing it. 

Another scenario might be if your award had been on the back of an appeal hearing where the date of claim was some years ago and a tribunal had adjourned for you to have a further face to face which resulted in say a 5 year award which started from 4 years and 9 months ago. 

Without the extra detail this thread may run and run but it's unlikely to give you the answer you need. 
Sign in or join us to comment.