Awarded PIP 2 weeks after applying, but got points in areas I didn't say I had difficulties in? — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Awarded PIP 2 weeks after applying, but got points in areas I didn't say I had difficulties in?

pault34
pault34 Member Posts: 16 Connected
Hi All

I'm new to here, so please be kind  :).

I applied for PIP at the beginning of May, returned the form and received a text 13 days after applying to say they had received 'the written report of PIP assessment. The day after that I received my first payment covering the 2 weeks from applying to the day I got the text. I then received the 'decision' letter about a week after that confirming I had been awarded Enhanced Rate Daily Living and Standard Rate Mobility for over 2 years.

My application was based on Mental Health (Severe Depression and GAD) and profound hearing loss.

My question is that I have been awarded 19 points for the Daily Living part, but there are two areas - Washing & Bathing, Dressing & Undressing - where I have been awarded 2 points in each of these descriptors even though I said I have no difficulty in those areas. Without those points I would still score 15 points so should I let DWP know that I have been awarded the 2 points in those areas?

Thanks for reading and hopefully your responses.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,252 Disability Gamechanger
    hi @pault34 how are you this evening? I don't see any real need to tell them as it wouldn't make any difference to the award you would still get enhanced with 15 points. But well done in getting a decision so quickly goes to prove that the system can work as it should.
    Offering PIP advice to people with epilepsy.
  • pault34
    Thanks @Woodbine, I'm 'coping' at the moment, hard for everyone right now, so trying to keep going until I can restart therapy and treatments. Hope you're doing alright too.

That's what I thought as well, just thought I'd get another opinion. And yes, it was a big surprise to hear back that quickly and with what I feel was a very fair decision based on my circumstances, especially after hearing and reading all the horror stories around PIP processes.

Take care
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,438 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @pault34. You’ve been awarded PIP by DWP so there’s no need to let anyone at DWP know your points breakdown. If you get ESA, HB or CTR you need to tell them of the award in order to ensure appropriate premiums are awarded but they just need to know which components and whether standard or enhanced. 

I wouldn’t stress about the extra points for a number of reasons. 

1 - sometimes we lack insight into the full impacts of our health conditions and how they might score points. 2 points suggest you either use aids or need prompting from another person for a variety of reasons and possibly even if you think you don’t. 

2 - the fact you’ve been awarded points for things you didn’t ask for means you have been given a thorough assessment. People on here don’t hear those stories too much and they really ought to. Ditto getting a good award involving mental health. 

3 - if you have profound hearing loss I would absolutely expect you to score on washing and bathing as if, for example, you had to remove hearing aids near water, then the risk from not hearing a fire, fire alarm, smoke alarm, intruder, visitor etc. would almost certainly score you points. 

So, pretty good all round really. 
  • pault34
    Hi @mikehughescq. Thanks for your reply, I'm new to the benefits system and hadn't really considered the points you've made, and quite possibly have understated some issues around my hearing loss, it happened quite suddenly and deteriorated over the last couple of years.

I also applied for Contribution Based ESA and was put on the assessment rate back-dated to Nov 2019 (when I had to give up my job), I sent back the ESA50 form just before lock-down and the postponement of Face-2-Face assessments but haven't heard anything else from the ESA people yet. Just a bit worried that I won't get assessed before the 365 time limit runs out now, my care team feel that I should be placed in the Support Group but who knows!

Thank you again for your thoughts.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 15 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mikehughescq
    Orangutan said:

but i am scratching my head a little bit also; because i disagree with point 3. above about "a hearing aid being a bathing appliance" (because it's not (- nor should it be assumed that people generally get "visitors" whilst bathing etc...) so logically i would guess you may have problems with your balance ? (i.e. thus correlating with dressing (both being "risk of falling over" ?), although also alternatively perhaps due to your depression if they gave you the "needs prompting" as opposed to "needs to use aid" ? meaning points 1 - 2 above (if not 3) will potentially be very accurate; depression is "mental illness" remember.
    A hearing aid is an aid for hearing but most people cannot shower or bathe with their aid in. Thus the risk when washing or bathing is considerably increased. This has been discussed previously here but, more importantly, it’s established case law. See https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5b7ff34ae5274a4a77e83eaf/CPIP_3528_2017-00.pdf

You’re welcome to disagree but it’s the correct interpretation of safety re: PIP and has been for some time. 2 points minimum almost always in hearing loss cases albeit that many people have to get to appeal to get it applied correctly. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 15 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mikehughescq

complete garbage; if people don't have a mental impairment or balance problems then there is no argument of risk.

I’d strongly suggest you write to the president of the social entitlement chamber telling him that all of his panels awarding 2 points for washing and bathing are completely wrong and all of them should disregard the precedent setting caselaw on safety. You’ll obviously want him to have a very serious word with Judge Hemingway whilst he’s at it. 

You should cc the letter to DWP asking them to reverse all cases where they have already awarded 2 points on exactly that basis.  

Don’t forget to copy NDCS in to correct their web pages on this. The errant page can be found at https://www.ndcs.org.uk/blog/important-update-to-pip-for-deaf-young-people/

Finally of course you should complain to Scope about the nasty bloke who dared to give accurate information to a new member. 

Sorry, @pault34 please accept my assurance that my first post on this thread can be trusted. If you’re not sure you should check it out with NDCS, Scope or your local advice service. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 8,074

Scope community team

Hi @pault34
    It’s great to hear they made a decision so quickly.
    I hope you feel your original query was answered. I’ve unfortunately had to close this thread, but if you have any further queries you are welcome to make another. I agree with the other posters — there’s no need to inform the DWP about the points awarded in washing, bathing, dressing and undressing.
    Community Manager
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.